Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No-spritz butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No-spritz butt

OK, this is not a controlled experiment, but it so happened I had a cook planned for today using a Kurobuta pork butt from CrowdCow, 3.9lb/1/8kg, bone-in. That's a small butt, and my game plan was to go minimalist: dry brine overnight and then a very light dusting of rub, to let the heritage pork flavor take center stage. Then I read that thread about whether to spritz/mop etc., and decided it would enhance my minimalism to skip the spritzes I'd done in my previous butt smokes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220428_063207.jpg Views:	73 Size:	131.7 KB ID:	1213589
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220428_065205.jpg Views:	73 Size:	124.9 KB ID:	1213585

Nice thing about my Pit Boss vertical p-smoker: makes it drop dead easy to do a simple smoke like this while sitting on virtual meetings all day. Ran at 250F/121C using a Cookin' Pellets blend. It got to the stall after a few hours, and I let it go for a few more until the bark was looking good, then wrapped in butcher paper the rest of the way, with final T about 202F/94C. Between that and no spritzing, it was out of the smoker in 8.5 hours, a good 2 hours less than any butt I've done yet (but see below).

About 2 hours in.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220428_094800.jpg Views:	73 Size:	130.5 KB ID:	1213588
    About five hours in and ready to wrap.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220428_115503.jpg Views:	73 Size:	157.0 KB ID:	1213590

I left the wrapped butt out on the counter for half an hour after pulling it out, during which the IT drifted down to about 180F/82C, then into the FC for a couple of hours.

The heritage pork flavor was tremendous! But this was the leanest butt I've ever eaten for sure. Some of it was almost like loin. Definitely better suited to slicing than pulling.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220428_174159.jpg Views:	72 Size:	109.6 KB ID:	1213587
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220428_174233.jpg Views:	73 Size:	129.3 KB ID:	1213586
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220428_174849.jpg Views:	72 Size:	91.3 KB ID:	1213591
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220428_174956.jpg Views:	72 Size:	133.8 KB ID:	1213593
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220428_174947.jpg Views:	73 Size:	121.9 KB ID:	1213592

Here's the temperature profile from the Meater+. The big drop is when I pulled to wrap it, and I bumped up the set point to 275 for a while to accelerate equilibration through the butcher paper, then returned it to 250.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220428-153637.jpg Views:	72 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	1213584
    Last edited by DaveD; April 29, 2022, 02:37 PM.

I'm guessing 4 more probes would have held in more moisture. That's probably what was missing with that crash site on Mars.

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! Yeah, I was wondering if anyone would chide me for under-instrumenting

The crash thing on Mars is just the backshell and parachute that were jettisoned during entry, descent, and landing... they were meant to just crash on the ground. Pretty cool that the copter got those images!

Try foil with a Kurobuta, especially a small one. Still surprises me it was more slicey than pulley.

Comment

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t know about anyone else, but that’s why I’m here in the Pit. To learn the terms of art from the staff: slicey and pulley. Got it. Thanks Huskee. 🤪🤪😂

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Draznnl jargon, insider terms

This post is very timely as I have a Crowd Cow delivery coming my way today that has this same pork butt in the order. I am planning to use it for tacos al pastor on Cinco De Mayo on Thursday! I am hopeful that by slicing & marinading it coupled with utilizing a rotisserie style cook, it won't dry out too much.

BTW every time you post something with your PitBoss pellet smoker I get the urge to buy one!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
      Still surprises me it was more slicey than pulley.
      Yeah, surprised me too! There was really no pulling this baby. I'll heat it up in the SV this week for sliced pork sammiches and see how it fares.

efincoop - I have just the one smoker and one grill, it's all I have room for. As well as the highly consistent results and ease of use, the small footprint is a big plus for me. The vertical form factor with five racks yields a full square metre of cooking area (over 1500 sq. in.), so it's as much smoking space as I'll ever need. It makes a midweek smoke really easy to do on a day I work from home, that's for sure. The smoker is remarkably stable, with no more than about 15-20F/7-8C gradient from top to bottom (provided one keeps water in the pan as directed). I spent a whole lot of time researching before deciding to go this way, and I think this was the best choice for my particular circumstances. Not that I'm trying to sell you one or anything.

Comment

• efincoop
        efincoop commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks DaveD! I have a PitBoss Series 2 that I use mostly for making jerky & as a warming unit. The thought of a small form factor pellet smoker is appealing. How is the smoke flavor profile?

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        efincoop I am not in a position to make a direct comparison on smoke profile, given that this is the only smoker I have or have used. I am quite experienced at EATING BBQ however and I sure don't perceive any shortage of smoke flavor. One thing about pellets is they burn the same way every single time, and produce only clean, thin, blue smoke, never any white or black smoke (provided the unit is functioning properly of course).

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here