Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork shoulder: spritz, mop, or neither?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork shoulder: spritz, mop, or neither?

I just read the article Mythbusting: basting, mopping and spritzing.
    I’m still unsure on if I should or shouldn’t. What should I do or don’t do?

I never do but some folks always do. I score the fat cap and run fat cap up. Clear as mud??

Comment

• Finster
      Finster commented
      Editing a comment
      I've usually been a remove most of the fat cap guy, but have recently seen a couple of videos where the fat cap was scored. Planning to try it on my next shoulder just as an experiment

I don't. And the same as Jerod fat cap up.

Comment

I never have in the past, but I'm planning to mop my next one just to see if it improves anything. Helpful?

Comment

I do not. However, I have braised in a covered pan after the stall at around 165 or 170.

Comment

I used to because that's what so many do. I stopped spritzing and moping a few years ago and have never looked back. Actually i gave up injecting too. Nice rubs, low temps and let the meat speak for itself.

Comment

I gave up on injecting. I still spray, it’s fun and doesn’t hurt anything, and my results are what I want them to be so why change.

Comment

Maybe a spritz (if I’m bored), maybe not (if I’m sleeping)

Comment

I could never tell the difference , so I never do anymore and the end product is what I want

Comment

I've never mopped or basted, but I'll spritz with a 50/50 mix of water & vinegar a couple of times until the bark is set the way I want it, then let it go from there. I've wrapped half the time thus far -- but note, my experience is far less than others here, been doing this only since last July For pork butt I'm only at n=4
                  Last edited by DaveD; April 24, 2022, 06:29 AM.

Comment

No spritz, no mop, no injection for me and my pork butts. They always turn out the way we like them, so no need to complicate things, I'm thinking.

Kathryn

Comment

Buy a decent sized butt and cut it in half. Prepare and cook both hunks the same way but spritz or mop one hunk. Then compare when finished. That will give the the answer that works for you.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                        bbqLuv commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I tried that but the bone got in the way.

• RonB
                        RonB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        2bbqLuv - this is where a saw of some sort is your friend. Cut the bone in half too.

• DTro
                        DTro commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you have a Costco near, try one of their boneless butts for the experiment.

I used to mop with a 30/30/30 -ACV, Beer, h2o- that contained finely diced jalapeño and onion, among other things. Now I spritz with a 50/50. The spritz is easier prep and clean-up. Thinking back, I believe my old ways produced a more flavorful butt. Hmm, I must try again.

Comment

When I hear "shoulder" I think of Pernil, and I want every inch of the skin to be shatteringly crisp so I don't do anything that will make the skin soggy. I've tried spritzing butts for bbq in the past and couldn't see any difference so I don't mop\spritz those either.
                        Last edited by Bkhuna; April 24, 2022, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• tenphases
                          tenphases commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I know the shoulder is the butt, but the terminolgy go me as well. Although they are similar, I cook a butt and a pernil in very different ways

• Bkhuna
                          Bkhuna commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The shoulder is one of the primal cuts. The butt is but one part of a shoulder.

Smilner Now look here. You had to ask. I was perfectly happy with spritzing with 50/50 cider vinegar, and apple juice. So now after reading the responses to your question, I have to try on spritzing.

That is going on my to-do list.
                        Last edited by bbqLuv; April 24, 2022, 07:37 AM.

Comment

• Mosca
                          Mosca commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I use the same.

• Attjack
                          Attjack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          When I do it I like to mop with ACV mixed with the rub I'm using

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here