Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guga's QVQ Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guga's QVQ Ribs

So Guga has a video on QVQ ribs that I want to try, the question I have though is that while he does a 3 hour smoke at 160*F prior to the SV stage, I'm not sure that my MGS can operate that low. Any thoughts on; how low can I run my MGS 560, and, given that likely higher temp, how long I should do the initial smoke for?
    Thanks!

Assuming MGS = Masterbuilt Gravity Series, it shouldn't be a problem. Last weekend I smoked a butt in my 1050 and my wife was using the kitchen oven, preventing me from using that on the lowest setting for a long hold. I simply set the temp on the 1050 to 150° and it stayed between 150° and 160° for about three hours until I shut it down. I would start it at a higher temp and then come down to 160°.
    Last edited by Steve R.; April 7, 2022, 07:50 AM.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome, thanks Steve R. I'm giving this a whirl, I asked, because all of my web searches indicated that you can't really set an MGS that low. I've got a 560 and the ambient temp should help as well.
      Last edited by pkadare; April 7, 2022, 08:36 AM.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      pkadare, that's probably true if you set it at 160° while lighting it. I had been running at 300° just trying to git 'r done, then turned it down. Getting a good fire going is probably key.

Post the link, Post the link, Post the link

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      You already have, you already have, you already have.

As it turns out, at least in the spring when the ambient temp here is 7*C, the MGS 560 is pretty good at holding a pit temp of 160*F, currently at 159.3*F. So, ribs rubbed with Giga's AP rub and onto the MGS.

Comment

Also first cook on the MGS 560 using a split of apple standing upright in the fuel chamber, surrounded by lump. Seems to be working out really well. The split is from one of the 3 bags of splits I bought on my recent trip to Turn Up the Heat BBQ. I'm seeing the odd temp spike up to about 250 but I'm pretty sure those are from leaves burning off. First cook of the season and I didn't spend a ton of time (ok, pretty much none)" cleaning out the cooker. :-)

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        Correction, I had one spike to 250*F and that was when I opened the lid to put the ribs on, and was my fault. I forgot that in order to get my Fireboard to work correctly controlling the 560 that I bypassed the lid switch and had the lid open long enough that the added O2 along with the fan, spiked the temp.

I'm curious what the results of this will be. It seems odd to me to smoke the ribs for three hours and then Sous Vide. If I've smoked ribs for three hours, I'd just let it go another hour or two and be done with it.

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        Also, another hour at 160*F is not going to get this ribs done. The point here is 3 hours of smoke at a very, very low temp in order to get lots of smoke flavour, most of the "cook" is in the SV where you're getting the rendering of the fat, collagen, and connective tissue, and then enough time back on the smoker to set the bark, and cook the glaze.

• MarkN
        MarkN commented
        Editing a comment
        pkadare I completely understand. I am looking forward to see the results.

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too, this is a great experiment!

Boy the MGS 560 along with the Fireboard 2 as a controller is doing a smashing job at holding 160*F. The spike can be ignored as that was placing the rack into the cooker.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220407-132715_FireBoard.jpg Views:	0 Size:	458.5 KB ID:	1202786
      Last edited by pkadare; April 7, 2022, 12:36 PM.

Comment

I don’t have a MGS 560 but It’s on my list. Why do you use the fire board controller if the MGS is controlled by thermostat?

Comment

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          Mostly because the change is easey-peasey and the Fireboard app is miles ahead of the Masterbuilt one. I had the FB 2 before I bought the 560 so I didn't have much experience with the MB app as far as controlling the unit goes, I was just used to the FB app and all of its features. I'm sure that the MB app will be fine if you don't want all of the bells and whistles that the FB app provides and if you don't have an FB 2 then I certainly wouldn't suggest getting one to drive your 560.

Ready for bagging, an ice bath, and then the hot tub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220407_141400.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1202844

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          i know its hard to get an accurate meat temp on ribs but what did these get to? Any idea?

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          rickgregory - Sorry, but I never temp my ribs. Not doing them this way, nor doing them with a normal smoke. I always use the bend test. With this recipe, it is one of the few times where I'm going by time and not temp.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          pkadare - yeah, me neither. Was just curious.

Looks like you're off to a good start. Can't wait to see what the final result is.

Comment

Due some timing issues I had to put the ribs in the SV a bit early and the kitchen smells amazing. The Foodsaver bags let the smoke particles escape and I love the smell.

Comment

Looks like quite the cool cook.

Comment

The kitchen smells amazing is amazing! 🕶

Comment

The suspense is killing me.

Comment

Ok, for a full write up on yesterday's cook - https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...2022?p=1204467

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here