Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ 1 whole shoulder or 2 butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBQ 1 whole shoulder or 2 butts

Hello all,
    I just acquired a Karubacue (KBQ). It’s my 1st stick burner. Up to now, my cooker is a large BGE.
    My goal upcoming is to create a pile of juicy, flavorful pulled pork.
    SRF is running a special, 20% off of 17lb whole Kurobuta - Berkshire pork shoulder. That’s one big hunk o’ pig. I
    Now for the first time, I have room to fit two whole butts or a large whole shoulder. My question is, other than total cook time, what are the pros & cons of smoking a large whole shoulder, as compared to two butts?
    Assumably two butts would have more external surface area than one shoulder, so more smoke & bark. I’m wondering if the one large shoulder would maintain more moisture & if the additional muscles, i.e., Boston butt, picnic shoulder, fore shank, pork shoulder would contribute to the texture of the pulled pork?
    I’d greatly appreciate hearing your thoughts, experiences & input.
    Respecfully,
    JD
    Last edited by jjdbike; April 5, 2022, 01:38 PM.

So it really depends much less on the cooker and more on how much pork you want. A whole shoulder is going to give you far more cooked pork than will a butt, and that applies to any cooker you may use.

Comment

Awesome! Congrats on the new rig!

You will be able to make tons of great tasting pulled pork with the KBQ. It is one of my favorite things to make.

Do you have any questions on how we cook pulled pork on the KBQ?

You are gonna love the KBQ.

Comment

I don't have a KBQ but I always split up my butts. More barkolicious flavor!

Comment

Originally posted by pkadare View Post
          So it really depends much less on the cooker and more on how much pork you want. A whole shoulder is going to give you far more cooked pork than will a butt, and that applies to any cooker you may use.
          Thanks PK,
          I was asking about comparing two whole butts w/ one large shoulder… pros & cons of each
          .I’m looking for a pile of pulled pork.
          JD

Comment

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            Again, not really a cooker question.

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
          Awesome! Congrats on the new rig!

You will be able to make tons of great tasting pulled pork with the KBQ. It is one of my favorite things to make.

Do you have any questions on how we cook pulled pork on the KBQ?

You are gonna love the KBQ.
          Hello Spinaker,
          Thanks for your reply. Yes please and thank you! I’ve only ever done pork butts & pulled pork on my egg. As far as method, I used Myron Mixon’s method of injecting, rubbing, smoking on the rack till stall & bark is set, then pan & foil.
          I’d greatly appreciate any tips specific to the KBQ.
          Much appreciated!
          JD

Comment

Originally posted by pkadare View Post
            Please check my original post, asking about comparing bark, smoke, moisture & texture between 1 shoulder (look at the cut & muscles that I listed, I have zero experience w/ those) & 2 whole butts.
            Thanks again!
            JD

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              Again, not cooker specific, so I'll bow out here. Good luck.

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there jj. To save you a little time and make the page comments flow easier, I’ve got a suggestion for you, and this is what we all do here. When you want to answer or reply to someone, if you’ll tap on "Comment" right below their post, your answer or reply to them will appear right under their original post……just like mine has. You don’t have to hit "Quote" and "Post Reply" then maybe have their comments and your reply appear again, way down the page.
              Last edited by Panhead John; April 5, 2022, 04:07 PM.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              I believe what PK is trying to say is that you are asking 2 different questions. As this is the KBQ sub-forum he's suggesting you should keep this conversation focused on pork butts or any other protein in your KBQ. And then if you have questions about pork shoulder or butt and the best ways to separate them out then that's a question that will get more responses in a different sub-forum.

Check out Comparts for whole pork shoulder, 2-22 pounders (average weight) for $152.95. I have them coming tomorrow.
            This Competition pack includes: (2) 22 lb (average weight) Compart Duroc All Natural, juicy pork shoulders with whole skin on, bone in, shank on This product is shipped frozen and the shoulders are Indiv Cry-o-Vac sealed.

I have made pulled pork out of these several times and it is excellent. I have also made Ecuadorian roasted pork leg again excellent.

Comment

Huskee - maybe move this to the Pork forum where it will get more attention?

@jjdbike - I'd split into two, maybe three hunks in order to get more bark/smoke influence. Hunks in the ~4-5lb range still turn out plenty moist. You could even divide that large butt into smaller hunks, then vac-seal and freeze each, so you can do just 1 or 2 at a time. A 17lb butt will give you a LOT of pulled pork. If you're cooking for a crowd, that's one thng but for a few people a smaller piece might be nicer.

I've not got a KBQ, but I think the advice on how to cook the butts will be the same... cook in the mid-200s (250-275), check around 195 for the probe sliding in with little resistance (think butter). Remove from the KBQ, wrap and rest if you want, pull, sauce, eat.

And take pics.
              Last edited by rickgregory; April 6, 2022, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree- 3 to 5lb hunks so much the better- more bark, more smoke, more rub, more better. It's not mandatory to cook a huge butt just because that's how it comes. It isn't a brisket. And if this isn't specific to the KBQ then yes, I'll move to Pork Discussion.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd add that we need to take it to 195-210, anywhere in there it doesn't matter no matter what you read on the interwebs, then hold it there at least an hour (the more the better), then shred.

I personally would recommend 2 butts for most of the reasons mentioned above. More bark and you can pull each one when it is at its perfect time. I have cooked numerous butts together and seemingly identical butts can take different times to get done, sometimes an hour or so difference. I also finish my butts using foil pans and smaller pans are easier to handle than one large one.

Comment

Thanks again everyone.
                Everyone here made great points.
                Multiple butts it is!
                I’ll post in KBQ thread for cooker specific details.
                Best regards!
                JD

Comment

I would do all of your prep like you do when you are cooking them in your BGE. Nothing needs to change there.

thing will cook faster in the KBQ because it is basically a connection oven. So make sure to keep that in mind. I dont wrap anything I cook in the KBQ unless I am tight on time. It does create some awesome bark, so you are able to wrap earlier if you want, once you have the color, texture and feel you want on those shoulders.

The KBQ cranks out some incredible pulled pork, you will love it.

Comment

• Panhead John
                    Panhead John commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I gotta get me one of those connection ovens! 🥸

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It is the best one you will ever own! Panhead John

Hi
                  I just imported a KBQ to my home in Phuket, Thailand. I’ve done a couple of practice burns with some chicken thighs and rib tips. I kept the top poppet closed and just wanted to taste the smoke using Jambolan wood. After 2 and a half hours at 225ish I was quite happy with my first new creation, Jambolan Chicken. Pleasant smokiness, meat tender and juicy and most of the fat rendered away. First cook, first taste I’m a happy camper. On to lychee wood and my first attempt at pulled pork. Is a one kilo piece (2.2lbs) enough for a decent test? I still learning fire mgt trying to keep it steady at about 225F and I’ll use Meathead rub and sauce any idea how long a cook that will be? Will injecting it allow me a totally unwrapped cook? I’m using a MEATER Temp probe. Any imput welcome.

Comment

• 58limited
                    58limited commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have not cooked a pork roast that small on the KBQ so I can't help too much. If you think it is drying out then I would wrap it. I cook pork at about 275 degrees.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here