Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$25 a gallon 😦

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$25 a gallon 😦

That's right... a gallon bag of cooked bacon. And that's a bargain at the $4.98 a pound I paid for 5 pounds. It all fits in that gallon bag after cooking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220328_194112.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1197635

Have you ever tried making your own dry cured smoked bacon?

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, for me it is a chore just to fry up 5 lbs of bacon, let alone make my own. What with making sourdough bread and pizza dough, and cooking all the other stuff, and taking care of my motorhome (that is proving to be more than I expected), I don't seem to have extra time - even in retirement. Not to say I wouldn't want to try... I always like to try my hand at something new.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      It takes less time than anything listed above.

Hey, you're worth it!!

Comment

I would love to try my hand at making bacon.

Comment

• McFlyfi
        McFlyfi commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree, super easy. I pick up a 9lb +/- pork belly at Costco every couple of months, and crank out a couple of months supply.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Isn't the one here a wet cure bacon? CaptainMike McFlyfi

• McFlyfi
        McFlyfi commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. Use the calculator on the free side for pink salt amounts/time.
        Want to up your game? Use Steven Raichlen's pastrami bacon recipe (use Amaz ribs pink salt calculator) and reduce Raichlen's brine recipe to 1/1 salt to sugar.

As we're trying to lose some weight here, we're eating less bacon now (*sob*). So I had a similar idea for the next time I do make bacon, I was going to cook up the whole package (we get Wrights 1.5 lb packages) and vacuum seal it in 3 piece portions and into the freezer. This has just helped me decide it will be a good idea!

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Switch to cottage bacon, less fat, more lean.

$25 of really good stuff though. We waste $25 on a lot of stuff that is not nearly as tasty as that. Looks good

Comment

25 bucks for a gallon of bliss? Sounds worth it to me.

Comment

I have cigars that cost more than that and I don't feel guilty smoking them. In many cases the juice is worth the squeeze.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here