Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ALDI Ribs - My uncomfortable experience with presalted/brined ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALDI Ribs - My uncomfortable experience with presalted/brined ribs

Hey all,

I'll start by saying I'm new to the site, and am totally plan on posting in the introduction thread. I've already heard Meathead and the lot of you warn about ribs and meats that are presalted. I now see why.

I've been smoking CostCo ribs for the longest time now with very good success (or as much success as you can with an electric smoker haha). We recently had a small ALDI open up, at a super convenient location on my way home from work. As I was perusing the aisles, I noticed they had babyback cryovac'd ribs for around $8.50. it was labeled with "American Farmed" and "Never Frozen". Naturally, I got excited, and jumped on the purchase. Of course, the ingredients were overlooked and I started smoking them. the salt on the ingredients list popped out to me only after they had already been in the smoker for a bit, so I just figured that we'll find out the difference.

It was noticeable.

Now i'll say they came out tender like my CostCo ribs, and had a nice bark, great color. I know I cooked them correct because of that. the one word that would fit the description of the only flavor that was taste-able: Ham. It overshadowed the smoke, the rub, everything. it tasted like prepacked sliced deli ham. I can honestly say that its the strangest rib taste I've ever had, and will probably be the last time i pick up that ingredient at ALDI.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

did you brine it before you smoked it? i can imagine if it was sitting in a salt solution and you brined it on top of that it might come out hammy. i recently did something similar with a rack i got from the grocery store but i didn't brine it and it came out tasting like ribs.
    Last edited by DeusDingo; October 29, 2015, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• cdarv
      cdarv commented
      Editing a comment
      I did a light salt an hour before the cook, but i dont foresee that going all the way down into the meat. It might have been the brand or type that ALDI uses.

Must be part of their "never frozen" philosophy- they'll last longer fresh & better shelf life if brined just like ham & bacon. Shame they do that to ribs. But for those folks that bake them and pile the storebought sauce on them (my parents, lol) they'll likely never notice.

Comment

• cdarv
      cdarv commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha yeah, well its back to costco for me!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here