Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meatheads last meal ribs- my new favorite, along with my entire unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meatheads last meal ribs- my new favorite, along with my entire unit

Hey again, my unit had an impromptu bbq session today and I made meatheads recipie, I didn't bother to sear them though, left them in the smoker longer. Anyways, it made for great eating, got about a million compliments for how good these ribs were! Did 5 racks, turned out great for the last minute scramble it was! Thanks to meathead and everyone for the info!! Edit: also, nobody believed this was my third time making ribs!
    Last edited by Thedcorvette; October 28, 2015, 06:26 PM.

The last meal ribs are a no brainer good cook.

My entire unit is a military term... If you are on active duty - thanks for your service.👍

Comment

Thanks, I'm active duty, but would prefer not to go into specifics! Definitely was a great thing to throw together! I did want to add that I left the smoke on the whole time they were on there rather than the first hour as was meatheads recommendation and it seemed to compensate a little for lack of flavor that goes with an electric smoker. I've got a real one coming with a TMO shipment at some point in the next few months that is my wife's, this will probably be one of the first things I try on there (I think it's a weber upright smoker). I don't know if i'll jury rig my charbroil again though, I think the electric is "close enough" for me for the moment.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Thedcorvette ...

Where there's a will, there is a way! When you get your new cooker let the Pit know exactly what it is. There will more than likely be some Pit members that have used it or are using it now. We will help you breeze through the learning curve of that device swiftly.👍

We're here to help! Stay safe my friend.👌

• Thedcorvette
        Thedcorvette commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds good Breadhead, definitely be nice to have some tips and tricks!

Ribs were my favorite until I made good pork butt, now I can't stop.

Comment

Pork butt does sound pretty dang amazing, I'm between something like that and a chicken for this weekend's cook.

Comment

Great job on the ribs!

For a long time I feared pork butt. However, pork butts are probably the easiest and foolproofest thing you can barbeque. Ribs are much more likely to go sideways on you. Pork butt just comes out all nice and pull-y, every time.

Comment

@Thecorvette, Try Butt when you are ready upstairs! 👍 Use your favorite rub 12-48 hrs in the fridge, rub with cookin oil just before putting in the smoker! Temp at 225*-250* F. Until done, with good thermometers and PATIENCE You Can't Go Wrong! 👍👌🍀👌👍. Good Luck, Dan

Comment

Thx dan and mosca, will have to try that this weekend!

Comment

Good job on the ribs! Can't go wrong with ribs!

Once you do a pork butt and get it down, then you may wish to try a beef chuck roast in the exact manner except with Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub (BBBR). Pulled beef is scrumptious, and personally I much prefer it to pulled pork.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Thanks huskee! I may try the beef roast sooner than later though, I have one sitting in the fridge that will go to waste if I don't use it soon, it's only 3 lbs so I won't feel too bad if it all goes wrong, I need to comb through the guide on beef roasts a few more times.

Comment

Originally posted by Thedcorvette View Post
                    Thanks huskee! I may try the beef roast sooner than later though, I have one sitting in the fridge that will go to waste if I don't use it soon, it's only 3 lbs so I won't feel too bad if it all goes wrong, I need to comb through the guide on beef roasts a few more times.
                    Excellent! It needs to be a fatty marbled roast like chuck. Won't work too well on lean roasts like a round roast for instance. If you don't have the supplies where you're at to make BBBR, then 50/50 coarse pepper & salt (Dalmatian rub) will work too. I wouldn't recommend a sweet pork rub.

Do it the same as you'd do a pork butt- remove all exterior fat cap. Dry brine a couple hours or a couple days (if you dry brine, then omit the salt later if using Dalmatian rub). Smoke at 210-250, take up a little higher than you might take pork, so let's say 205-209 IT for instance. Hold it at that temp if you can for an hour. Then faux Cambro it as you would a pork butt. Beef chuck tends to do well at a little higher temp than butts.

Comment

Hmm, mine might be a little lean, didn't have much of a fat cap, but worth a try. Thanks for the info, the more I read about this dry-brining idea the better it sounds, seems like a lot less effort than traditional brining. Do you mean searing the roast by faux cambro? Sorry the terminology of this is still new.

Edit: just scrolled through the beef grade page.. may have to re-evaluate this plan and make a stew if it's anything less than choice. Also, looked up faux cambro, no need to explain!
                      Last edited by Thedcorvette; October 29, 2015, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Thedcorvette You could do the above, just take the roast to 135 (medium rare) reverse sear style, and slice thin. I've done that with leaner roasts and it's yummy. That's also common with cuts like tri-tips and prime ribs, etc.

Comment

Huskee I think I'm gonna have to try that, dry-brine tonight though, will get back to you all with results!

Comment

Just cooked the roast! Thx for the advice Huskee, it wasn't quite as tender as a prime rib might be but it was dang good and for the cut the texture was very good. I thought the flavor was much better though, and my wife ate more red meat than I've seen her do in a long time! Had a little snafu with the temps, came out a little bloody after I seared it, so I fixed my sear on one side and brought it to a little over 140 degrees in the smoker, came out amazing!
                            Last edited by Thedcorvette; October 30, 2015, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
                              Huskee commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Nice! You're ready for a prime rib now!

• Thedcorvette
                              Thedcorvette commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Prime rib sounds pretty good... Think the wife is gonna have me busy tonight with Halloween, but I've got some good leftovers until I decide what to do next! 👍😄

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here