Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing cooked shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing cooked shoulder

If I want to freeze cooked shoulder is it better to pull it first, or freeze the whole thing?

Pull, portion into (ideally) vacseal bags, vacseal, freeze. If you don't have the capabilty to vacuum seal, portion into ziploc bags, get as much air as you can out, freeze.
    Last edited by rickgregory; February 27, 2022, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto, we use zip lock bags.

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

+1^

Comment

I agree with everyone. The thing I will add is that you don't have to pull exactly to how you will eat it later. I like to do rough pulls for what I am freezing. It seems to reheat just a bit better.

Comment

So if I can hijack a thread here, how do you reheat the PP after it has thawed?

I will reheat the laziest way possible… in a microwave. I throw it in a bowl but add a little bit of water, the amount depending on the portion. Heat for a little bit, stir the mixture, repeat until hot enough. This seems to do a great job in keeping everything moist. Again, I don’t have a vac seal but if I did my method would probably be very different.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          It depends on what I’m doing. I do microwave with a damp towel on top. I reheat in a pan. I also SV. If I am repurposing for enchiladas I simply thaw and it goes into tortillas. For carnitas I fry it.

Leftovers (sorry - just keeping it real) are pretty forgiving. I agree with the consensus of pulling first, but in reality the difference between that and freezing first is minimal,

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          The reason I pull and portion is that if I've cooked more pork than I want atm, I can portion it out and then, when I do want it, grab just as much as I want for a meal or two, not the entire frozen shoulder. Also, it's already pulled. I just need to reheat. I don't need to reheat, then pull etc.

QUality-wise you're 100% though.

As others have already said, pulled pork freezes and reheats very well. If I have leftover pulled pork I vacuum seal it in 1 pound portions, and freeze it for future reheating. While I've reheated by dropping the vacuum seal bag into a pot of hot water, more often than not, I reheat in the microwave due to sheer laziness. Just don't overdo it in the microwave to avoid drying the meat out. I will moisten with a ltitle sauce if needed on the reheat as well.

The problem with freezing an entire butt prior to pulling the pork would be the several days of thawing it would take. Plus COLD pork simply doesn't pull. You really need to pull pork while its still hot from the grill, or after a rest in cambro. Don't refrigerate and try to pull later, as it will be one hard mass again, with all the fat recongealed. If you refrigerate before pulling, in my mind you will end up slicing that butt rather than shredding.
        Last edited by jfmorris; February 27, 2022, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I'll smoke it to 150deg so it's safe, then cut into serving sizes, freeze it and finish it off in the oven wrapped until pulling temp.
          Zero leftovers every time

Comment

I always vacuum seal pork shoulder after shredding it. There's never been a problem

Comment

On the rare occasion I freeze, I do pull it first, but I also add a splash of apple juice to the ziploc. Works perfect if microwaving to reheat.

Comment

• radshop
                radshop commented
                Editing a comment
                Great suggestion!

Either method is perfect, vacuum seal and either reheat in the sealed bag or out of the bag in the microwave.

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                To clarify a bit, I'm cooking for about 75 people and would kind of like to precook.
                I do have a vac seal and will pull and freeze.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is the approach I had decided on when I was going to be serving pulled pork and pulled chicken for 200 guests at a wedding, at my daughter's request. I was going to setup a couple of Anova's with a couple of large coolers modified to put the Anova through the lid, and drop the food saver bags into the coolers at 140F or so, and instruct the volunteers in the venue kitchen to dump the bags into steam table trays as needed, and carry out to the buffet.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wedding got canceled though and became a backyard reception for 15 folks (immediate family only on both sides). So I never smoked all that meat that was going to fill up my deep freeze.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here