Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about selecting ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I buy most of my ribs at Sam's by the case. They are always chill spares and cryovac-ed. I trim them myself SLC's. I sabe the trimmings to use in Chinese cooking or other uses. Trimming isn't that hard you trim them to 12 bones per rack, which usually means trimming off the tiny bone and attached meat at one end. Then flip over and, using a sharp boning knife, run it down just pay where the cartilage meats the fat bone ends. Do it so the rack is basically even width from end to end - about 4.5-5". To can trim off excess fat on the bone side and trim off the flap meat if there is any. Sometimes the meat side has a lot of extra fat, usually at one end, that you can trim off, but be careful. I find that if they properly cooked, they are remarkably consistent in taste and texture. For smoke I use pretty much only hickory for ribs, although I have used pecan one or twice with good results. IMHO, over-cooking is the bigger danger. I stick one maverick probe between the 8th and 9th rib on the end where the bones are wide and flat, being careful not to hit bone, on one rack. I set the temp alarm for 185°F as a guide. Start checking for doneness by the bend method at 5 hours, regardless of the IT. I pull them if the temp of the probed rack hits 185°F regardless. On the bend test, I just the barest hint of them starting to crack. I generally sauce them before serving. I find I get the best results saucing under the indoor broiler, rather than on the grill.

That's all I have for now.

Comment

My last set of ribs were both enhanced and frozen, and they were excellent.

Enhanced affects the cost, because you're paying for the salt solution. But it also means already brined, so don't bother brining them. Just apply your (unsalted) rub and away you go.

I wouldn't refreeze previously frozen ribs; otherwise, smoke 'em up without a second thought. Snake River Farms products arrive frozen, and they come out okay.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here