Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Steak Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Steak Technique

I'm interested in trying my hand at pork steaks, anyone have some advice or a favorite recipe to share? Thanks.

I like to do mine the way Snow's does theirs: Cut 1 1/2" - 2" steaks from a pork butt (I get the butcher to do this - cut through bone and all), season, cook about 18" - 24" above the coals. This is where my old kamado shines: its not 18" to the coals but it is at least 12". Takes 1 1/2 - 2 hours or so to cook. I season with TexJoy steak seasoning and the steaks taste just like Snow's.
    Last edited by 58limited; January 16, 2022, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I do them with a recipe handed down from my mom. It's not BBQ, but soooooo good.

Steaks about 1" thick seasoned with SPG
      Lightly breaded and browned in a skillet
      Place in a baking dish sized as needed
      Cover with tons of sliced sweet onions. TONS. If you think you have enough, you don't. Add more. Hit with black pepper.
      Add about 1/4" or so of water to the bottom of the baking dish. Do not pour water over meat and onions
      Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 for 90 min.
      Serve.
      Use the au ju for gravy if desired.

Steaks will be melt in your mouth tender. The onions too. A bite of steak and onion is pork heaven.
      Last edited by Jfrosty27; January 16, 2022, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        This sounds like delicious comfort food. Thanks for the recipe.

Kathryn

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Chicken fried pork steaks, wow that sounds great !!! 👍

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman The local grocery, Market Basket, carries pork cube steaks. I make chicken fried pork steak and gravy all the time! I might even prefer it over beef chicken fried steak.

CaptainMike This is my go to https://howtobbqright.com/2017/10/19...d-pork-steaks/ Do this one often.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        I always just do the all purpose seasoning and his bbq rub which is mainly paprika.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I did a couple of them a la this recipe and they were fantastic!! I'll share a couple of pics in SUWYC. Thanks again for the link, David!

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        Great. Glad you liked it!

Do you think these will work? $2.69/lb and the butcher cut them pretty nicely. Looking forward to trying each of the above recipes, thanks, guys!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork steaks.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	1160450

Comment

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice!

• gboss
        gboss commented
        Editing a comment
        Those look like some really nice steaks!

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Pork shoulder blade steak. These are the exact thing I was complaining about not being able to get at Costco last week.

Originally posted by 58limited View Post
      I like to do mine the way Snow's does theirs: Cut 1 1/2" - 2" steaks from a pork butt (I get the butcher to do this - cut through bone and all), season, cook about 18" - 24" above the coals. This is where my old kamado shines: its not 18" to the coals but it is at least 12". Takes 1 1 1/2 - 2 hours or so to cook. I season with TexJoy steak seasoning and the steaks taste just like Snow's.
      My dad cooks his this way. Mr. T's Meat Market in Elton, Louisiana cuts them about 3/4" thick and seasons them. We had them for Thanksgiving. Man them suckers were good!

Comment

We watched Malcolm's video and even my wife said she can't wait to try these steaks!!

Comment

• DavidNorcross
          DavidNorcross commented
          Editing a comment
          It is good stuff for sure.

I’d salt, pepper em and git them in a CI skillet with plenty of duck fat after the sear, basting & flippin em.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like I need to catch me a duck to render down!

Salt and pepper, Grill Gates on 500*f Traeger, to the internal temperature of 145-150.
        Pop open an adult beverage--PBR, garlic mashed potatoes, mixed veggies, tossed salad.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll give this a try with the LSG pellet pooper later this spring.

I've got a couple of these in the freezer, big thick pork chops, from Wild Fork:

Very different cut of course from steaks sawn from a shoulder. Presumably there would need to be adjustments to the procedures mentioned above...?

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          I did a pair of these last week. On the pellet cooker at 240 to an IT of 120. Then a sear on the Blackstone flat top and pulled at IT of 145. Amazing.

Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
        We watched Malcolm's video and even my wife said she can't wait to try these steaks!!
        Yea I do mine like he does his. Treat them pretty much the same way you would pork ribs.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          CaptainMike You'll have to search hard to find typical Texas BBQ joints doing pork steaks. You may in places over in East Texas where pork is more prevalent but not in the Hill Country. I can't find them at all in Houston. They are made sometimes at the BBQ cook offs where we used to make them back in the '90s when I did a little comp stuff. They are good and quit frankly that's what I do with pork butts more often than pulled pork.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Brett does them pretty regularly, that's what gave me the hankering to try them. I might be with you on the steaks vs. pulled pork. We never did these growing up so it wasn't a part of my heritage diet. It's pretty much a new discovery for me so there's a lot of different ways to go from here.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea you're right I remember him saying they did them. He's kind of the exception. The trinity of brisket, sausage and ribs is what everyone wants which is kind of sad. That's why I look for the new pitmasters who expand their menus. Pork steaks make perfect sense from a price standpoint, better bang for the buck for them. Trust me NO one is making money on slices of brisket these days.

I like slathering pork steaks with an adobo sauce and going hot and fast, then slicing up and serving as a taco with grilled pineapple, basically tacos al pastor. I haven’t tried pork steaks any other way, from what I remember. But the suggestions above do sound great!

and those steaks you got look wonderful! I’m usually using skinny steaks.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          The meat guy working at our local grocery store yesterday was a really nice young man and stopped what he was doing to cut these for me. It wasn't busy at all in the store so it was convenient, but I felt he genuinely wanted to help a customer. It was pretty cool and I told him so. This Malcolm Reed recipe is excellent, lots of layers of flavor and I used some apple chunks from one our tree prunings. Those chunks give the best smoke flavor I've ever tasted. Give it a try!

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Dang that sounds good barelfly

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Something tells me you might put adobo sauce on Cheerios.

I saw Steven Raichlen make this dish on Project Smoke years ago, and wrote it down at the time. Have yet to make it, but it looked amazing - it was called "Monroe County Pork Steaks with Spicy Vinegar Dip".

Recipe:

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/mon...y-vinegar-dip/

Video over at Arteflame (he used the Arteflame to cook during that episode):

https://arteflame.com/blogs/news/ste...SAAEgIgjvD_BwE

As you can see, he cooks them hot and fast over a charcoal and hickory wood fire. Your's are so thick that you might have to do a front or reverse sear and cook the rest of the time indirect to get to 140 IT.

I want to try it because of that spicy "dip", and now I'm going to be looking for pork steaks next trip to Sam's Club, as they usually have them out for sale.

Last edited by jfmorris; January 17, 2022, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          In this version by Maclolm Reed that David Norcross shared the steaks are 1 1/4" thick and are front seared then foil wrapped to take them up to temp. Mine were 1 1/2" so not very different. they were fantastic and will be a repeat. https://howtobbqright.com/2017/10/19...d-pork-steaks/
          Last edited by CaptainMike; January 17, 2022, 10:57 AM.

We do them all the time. We like thin steaks....maybe 3/8-1/2" thick. Let 4-5 lbs sit over night in a Chinese Char Su Marinade. Grill hot indirect 300-325 until internal temps reach 185 and the outer edges of the fat have a nice char on them. Then glaze while cooking over direct heat until they are nice and sticky.

Comment

I’m looking go forward to getting a pork neck/collar and trying pork steaks this way:

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here