Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Propound my Pork Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Propound my Pork Problem

I get 99.9% of my questions answered by the pit members even though I mostly haven't personally ask any of them.
    And then there are the answers to those questions, I had no idea I needed to ask but have an answer before I even knew I would be needing one.
    Today I have no answer or recall having read anything that might have given me one.

The outline to my question is this shop bought "maple flavoured gammon" that in my assessment is a loin cut. I removed the skin and sprinkled some MMD on only the fat cap. Cooked the hunk indirect for around 2 hours until 60C let it rest for 10min before slicing to grill over coals. The meat was tender and juicy after grilling but there was a thin band around the outside of the meat that was very chewy.(I'm using the word "chewy" for lack of a better way of describing). The ends of the meat did not have that same chewy band.
    I confess to not having inspected the underside of the meat after removing from the vac bag but I don't recall seeing a silverskin or membrane through the packaging. The chewy band was uniform all round the meat except on the two ends and the fat cap. Was kind of like a rind of some sort. Underdeveloped bark?
    I also resolved that the piece must have been cut from the whole loin hunk after it had been "cured".
    My profound propound pork problem question If you haven't guessed is
    "What caused this to happen?"

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220108_201803.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1156190

Name:	20220108_201832.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1156191

Name:	20220108_170538.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	1156192

Name:	20220108_183650.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	1156193

Name:	20220108_184453.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1156194

Name:	20220108_185555-1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	1156195

Name:	2022-01-08 19.50.35-1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1156196

Boy that's a lean cut, almost looks like Canadian/peameal bacon.
    I would hazzard a pure guess that if it has been brined somehow this band could be caused by the brining process.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      It does look like the back bacon cut we get here. My first thoughts were the brine somehow was the culprit.

Wow, sure looks good. You Done Good.
    I would pair that with PBR if it is available there, or a medium Lager.
    I have no idea the cause, but I would eat it anyway.
    What sides?
    Thanks In advance

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Sides were potato and green salad, baked beans and garlic roll.

Had to Google "gammon" and came up with "fresh ham".

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      The cut is cured "like" shop bought bacon. I
      buy gammon and smoke one every week for Sunday lunch.
      They are sold bone-in and boneless. A cut from the leg area but sometimes we get lucky and find a boneless shoulder.
      When I first spotted this cut before Christmas (R139/kg) I guessed then they might be excess back bacon being sold off as gammon. I bought one to try on Friday because they were selling at a reduced R89/kg. Was very good except the rind band that made some bites unpleasant

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here