Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrap or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done, 8:20 cook to 203* first one fell apart picking up from the wrap to the pan, plenty moist but did use the juice from the wrap as a little more can't hurt. The second Butt was larger no temp probe but I was monitoring with a lollipop thermometer and it was running alongside the other and when I pulled from the fire the larger one was 196*, this was a good test the larger shoulder is tender, but not as tender as the 203*. The picture I took of the pull is corrupted according to amazingribs and won't upload.

Thank you everyone for the help, this place is great!!
    Last edited by JohnF; September 27, 2015, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      JohnF, do you know how to screencap? Bring that picture up on your screen, then screencap it, and make it its own new picture. Then try to reupload.

And congrats on a successful pulled pork cook!

Thank you Huskee. put it with the last picture.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment

Re: the wrap softening and reducing flavor of the bark - how about using the wrap to bring butt up to 205 degrees, then unwrapping and putting in home oven at 400-450 for a few minutes to again crisp up the bark. Anyone tried this? Results? Advise not to do? Why? Thanks! Jim

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      I've done it on ribs, but I don't wrap unless I am pressed for time. I typically cook a butt to 200, pull it, wrap it and put it in a cambro for an hour or two until it is time to serve. The bark is softer, but not a s soft as when you wrap during the cook.

Jim Burgin You certainly can do any of the above! Personally I find the bark, even after wrapping, to be adequate when mixed in the finished product but we're all different. I cook my butts in 3-4lb hunks, usually no bigger. This helps give more bark to start with due to more surface area compared to say one 8lber. There are lots of ways to skin this cat!
    Last edited by Huskee; October 3, 2015, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Jim Burgin
      Jim Burgin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks much Huskee. Jim Burgin

Net resting responses. We all have great cooks, and we all use slightly different techniques. I wrap when I am into the stall, 30-45 minutes in, before the temp starts to rise. Late In the cook, if I think I need to firm the bark, I but the port back on the smoker and do the last hour or so that way, and reserve the jus that was in the wrap.

Not being a fan of harder, or crunchy, bark, I usually don't remove it from the wrap intil after cambro, but I Lea rend something new (again) from Huskee , and may give it a whirl!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here