Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ways to smoke pork belly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ways to smoke pork belly?

I was wondering the ways to make smoked pork belly. I know of pork belly burns ends and bacon. Anything I am missing?

I like to smoke it as a whole slab to cut into chunks later and fry them until they're crispy.

Comment

• Waster
      Waster commented
      Editing a comment
      Sound delish - like lardons!

I suggest cutting it into pieces small enough to fit in the wrapper, but they are hard to keep lit, and they will drip grease all over yur shirt...

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Makes sense,
      ……………I think.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Then use a water pipe.

• North Carolina Mike
      North Carolina Mike commented
      Editing a comment
      Will a bacon bong work?

I did a trial a couple years ago, had a half-slab and cut it into 3. One I did with MMD, one I did with an Asian chili marinade, and one I did with plain old S&P, nothing else.

The Asian chili one suffered from the same problem that has happened to me every time I've done that marinade on ribs or whatever. The flavors all just disappear. There's very little flavor, and literally NO heat, in spite of how much I put into it - tons of sriracha, cayenne and chipotle, etc. But literally NO heat.

The MMD was ok, about what we've come to expect from using it so much on ribs and such.

The S&P was the best, to my utter amazement. It really allowed the flavor of the pork to take the front seat and was quite good. I was very happy with it.

Smoked them all to around 200 or so, then let them rest a bit and cut into slice, kind of like super thick bacon, about 3/8" each.

I have a whole pork belly in the freezer, I need to do something with it.

Comment

My favorite way to make pork belly is:

Slice it into about 3/8" slices
      Salt and let sit about an hour
      Slap on your favorite pork rub - I usually use Butt Rub for these
      Smoke at 225* until about 190-195 internal if you are ready for the last step, or take it a bit higher if you're not going to eat them right away

When you want to serve them, sear them for a few minutes per side to really put them over the top. I use my griddle, but use whatever you can make really hot. These are known as "Meat Candy" and requested often in my group.

Edit: found an old pic. It’s not great but gives you the idea.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Joey877; September 7, 2021, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        At Costco, I saw Pork Belly cut into strips. And they were quite a bit cheaper than whole Pork belly. May have to go back.
        Joey877 Thank you. I bet they pair well with PBR.

• Joey877
        Joey877 commented
        Editing a comment
        I usually use those slices when I make these, bbqLuv. They’re perfect for it.
        Last edited by Joey877; September 7, 2021, 06:50 PM.

• Waster
        Waster commented
        Editing a comment
        drooling....

Just adding smoke and frying only method? Is the fry required due to fat in it?

Comment

• jpietrantone
        jpietrantone commented
        Editing a comment
        In my mind you would do that to firm it up a little. By slicing you can also remove some unwanted fat before eating since it's such a fatty cut. It's very good though!

The sear at the end crunchifies the outside and further tenderizes the inside. The result is a piece of meat candy that has a crunch when you bite into it, but then it melts in your mouth.

Comment

Hear me out. Use your favorite brisket rub, I use Alchemist Fire Power Word Grill. Now I normally use a pork rub of course like AF Pork Ferocity. but I tried the pepper heavy brisket style and smoked at 225F to an internal of 160.

Shockingly good.

Comment

I like cubing it. The rub should be a bit spicy or sweet with the glaze being the opposite. Cut the cubes kind of big because it will shrink quite a bit as the fat renders. Be sure to dry brine it first. Each cube should be able to be eaten by hand in a single bite or two bites at most.

Comment

I like to smoke 1/2 of a belly whole. Rub it with a good pork rub, smoke at 210-220 until internal is 160. Chill overnight so I can slice it when I'm ready to cook. Slice it 3/4-1" thick, get a nice hot grill going. Now I use an orange jam and fav bbq sauce mixed together as a glaze as they are being grilled.

Comment

Ok I gotta ask...when I cook the meat candy as described above, I have learned the hard way I need to take it all the way up to an internal temp of +200. Anything less and it is chewy and dry. A lot less and it is chewy, dry and fatty. Two of you have now posted to take pork belly to an internal temp of 160. Are you finishing these off for quite some time on the grill or am I missing something? Seems to me there is so much fat in belly that you need to take it to a higher temp, and slowly, unless you are slicing it as thin as bacon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here