Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you all trim pork butts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just any thick stuff on top.

Comment

No trimming here, outta the fridge, dry rub it and onto the grill.
      I live by the moniker.....pork fat rules....

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I have have been not alive, more than once, I reckon is th nicest way to discuss that.

None were from Pork Fat, so, Amen, Brother

Ya'll salt your pork butts the night before and then rub? There's so much external fat on them, and they're so thick... I try, but I end up doing quite a heavy dusting of kosher salt, but almost invariably add more salt (and often rub, too) when I pull them.

Comment

I like to 1" cube the fat cap. Season well, then cook fat cap up. About half way done, cut the cubes off for fake pork belly or pork burnt ends. I do trim around the money muscle to shape it and get any silver skin or cartilage off the top side.

Comment

• Rob whatever
          Rob whatever commented
          Editing a comment
          I also score the fat cap but I don't pull it off. I add some bbq sauce to the scored fat cap right before I wrap. Once it is done, I pull the scored pieces off and it is the best part of the pork butt. I learned this from Malcolm Reed on How To BBQ Right.

Rob

• ChiefK
          ChiefK commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a great idea, thank you! I don't bother trimming around the money muscle, it's usually just us and the kids. But if we're having friends over, I'll slice it off and give it to our guests as an appetizer

I trim off most of the fat cap. There's enough fat in the hunk o meat for me.

Comment

I trim off the cryobag.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Pro Tip, My Brother...learned this Th Hard Way, many many years ago!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahaha

Originally posted by CandySueQ View Post
          I like to 1" cube the fat cap. Season well, then cook fat cap up. About half way done, cut the cubes off for fake pork belly or pork burnt ends. I do trim around the money muscle to shape it and get any silver skin or cartilage off the top side.
          I mean this is the definition of a "Pro-Move"

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I did do well with this at one contest. I cooked 3 butts for that contest, one just for the cubes. Always turn in the "bacon" meat layer in the fat cap, but with meat prices high, one butt is all that I've been cooking this year.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here