Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh ham help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh ham help

I need help deciding what to do with a fresh ham. A coworker has asked me to smoke a very large fresh ham. It is 30 lb! I'm assuming fresh means uncured and raw. I've glanced over this website's curing article and it seems intimidating. I know you could skip the curing and cook it like a regular roast but am confused on the recommend internal temp. This website recommends 145 degrees for fresh ham, and other sources recommend around 175 degrees. What would you do? Also should I try to cut it into smaller pieces? Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	14714.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1043832Click image for larger version

Name:	14716.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1043833Click image for larger version

Name:	14718.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1043834

First thing ya need to do is ask your co-worker if they want 30 lbs of pork roast or ham. Then ask if it's OK to cut it in thirds 'cause it will take a long time to cure or cook whole. I'll let people with more experience talk about temps.

Comment

I agree with RonB cut it in thirds to make cooking and curing easier. 145 is fine for whole muscle pork.

Comment

No help for you on your question but man I used to love it as a kid when we went to pick out a country ham for the holidays in Nash County NC. Got them from some old geezer who looked to be 150 years old. Had a curing shack with dozens of hams hanging. My 8-year-old self wondered how he kept it from burning down!

Thanks for sparking those memories!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here