Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCGB Pork Butts & Random Acts of Kindness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WCGB Pork Butts & Random Acts of Kindness

The company I've worked for for 28+ years, Intuit, has a core value of "We Care & Give Back" (WCGB). They put their money where their mouth is by giving us paid time off to help out in our communities, including performing "random acts of kindness". Lucky for me, smoking butts and feeding people counts as such. So I picked up what I needed from Sam's Club last weekend, and took the past couple of days off to do this (not pictured, another bag of apples and the two butts)...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2110.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	1043353

On Sunday night I trimmed a couple of butts and started dry brining them in Obie Cue's Gatorbreath Cajun Salt. I like using this with butts since its plenty salty for the dry brine and also gets a nice first layer of spicy rub on there that doesn't come off when I slather & put on a 2nd layer later.

Name:	IMG_2102.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1043348

Name:	IMG_2101.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	1043351

Tuesday morning I fired up the Bronco with a charcoal basket full of B&B briquettes lit on one side and added a few nice applewood chunks. While it preheated I took the butts out, applied a mustard slather and then hit them with a sweeter but still savory rub called Let It Ride from the Sauced! BBQ team down in Denver, NC. Got them on the smoker around 8:15am.

Name:	IMG_2103.jpg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1043347

Name:	IMG_2104.jpg
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	1043352

Interesting cook, since probe 2 went bad and on top of that I eventually figured out that combining my wifi bands after replacing my router led to significant connection issues to my Fireboard. Long story short - I'll be connecting it to the 2.4 Ghz "guest" band from now on. Anyway, after 7 hours at ~285F they were looking good so I wrapped them each in a foil pan and put them in the oven to finish.

Name:	IMG_2111.jpg
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	1043355

The one on the right cooked a little faster and was probe tender at 206, the other one took about 30 min more and was probe tender at 203. Great example of how each piece of meat is different! I left them in the hold for about 2 hours, then took them out and pulled them. Pretty sure it was a jfmorris reply I read somewhere about pulling that night while hot, and reheating the next day, which worked like a charm. I just left the pulled pork in the foil covered pans in the fridge over night, and Wednesday morning opened them up to add a little more rub and some Scott's eastern NC style sauce to help moisten it up a bit (its watery, not thick at all), then reheated them in the oven at 250F. I was super happy with the results, and I'll be doing it this way in the future for parties, etc. as opposed to getting up so early the day of.

Name:	IMG_2114.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	1043350

We used this to make pulled pork sandwiches, my wife and daughter helped with the assembly line.

Name:	IMG_2120.JPG
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1043356

Each lunch bag got a sandwich, an apple, and couple of homemade chocolate chip cookies my wife made that morning.

Name:	IMG_2116.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1043349

I think we had 25 bags and definitely lots of leftover pulled pork for us, a third of which we took to my in-laws yesterday.

Name:	IMG_2119.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1043346

Then we loaded up my Acadia and I drove around Durham to the intersections where we always see folks asking for help. My kiddo was in the back with most of the bags and water bottles, and she'd hand them up to my wife as needed, and my wife would pass them out her window. People were very grateful, a couple of them even started eating right away. Kinda cool to watch them get so excited about getting a hot pulled pork sandwich.

Name:	IMG_2118.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1043354

We got rid of most of the bags this way in about 30 min, and what we had left I took to the local fire department - as they said, "we do like to eat here!"

Random acts of kindness make the world go 'round, and I'm pretty sure BBQ only helps matters!

Job well done!

Comment

What a great company…….and employee! That must be a good feeling watching these people dig in right after handing the food to them. As usual, another stellar write up. 👍

Comment

Outstanding! What a great thing to do, and it's even cooler to get the whole family involved. Feeding others is just a special kind of joy.

Comment

Brilliant

Comment

FishTalesNC well done sir! And you inspire me to do something like that when I can, down the road. Too bad pork prices are skyrocketing.

Pretty sure you were thinking of me, as I used that method when preparing 9 butts for my oldest daughters "I Do BBQ" engagement party in October 2017. For serving we went from the oven to 2 or 3 large crock pots for holding the meat in the serving line, and replenished from the pans in the oven as needed.
            Last edited by jfmorris; June 10, 2021, 10:58 AM.

Comment

That’s great! I don’t know if they give employees time off, but HEB grocery in Texas has a disaster team in place to respond with a staff person to administer it. It is wonderful when companies give back for the benefit of the community. I am glad that you are taking of the opportunity to serve.

Comment

Good job! Looks delicious!

Question: how do you avoid over-salting using two different commercial rubs? I have problems with salt even using one.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                  FishTalesNC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ya know just based on my experience, its hard to over salt a big ol' hunk of butt or a brisket. Now, if I had dry brined with kosher salt only, I'd have cut the rubs down to about 1/2 what I ended up using. I do use less on other cuts - once I over salted a 3lb chuckie when I rubbed it down like I do a brisket. If I do ribs and layer my rubs I definitely cut down on them. I've cut WAY back on salt over the last 18 mo so most things taste salty now, but this did not. 👍🏻

Double like! I (well my wife really) drive an Acadia. I pay for an Acadia.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                  FishTalesNC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well put! 🤣

This is amazing. We need more kindness in this old world of ours.

Kathryn

Comment

There is more joy in giving and sharing with us too.

happy grilling to you and PBR too

Comment

How we'uns was raised, way on back in th Hills an Hollers...

Everbody helped each other out, as they was able, or reckon th whole lotta us woulda starved plumb clean to Death...

Y'all made a whole lotta folks happy, full, an grinnin ear to ear....Ain't that what cookin is fer?

Needs to be much more such kinda things goin on, imho...

Comment

Lovely story and nice efforts! You and your family should sleep well.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here