Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork baby back ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While we're on this subject let me add this. Bark. Everyone talks about it but nobody explains the results. People say bark is ruined by wrapping, but I've cooked without wrapping and the bark becomes hard and chewy on pork and beef. Is this the desired result? Spritzing helps some but I prefer my "bark" to be edible. What is the result I need to achieve?

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      "What is the result I need to achieve?"

The result that YOU and your family like best. That is the most important result in my cookbook.

• Starsky
      Starsky commented
      Editing a comment
      I understand the personal preference issue but what I'm trying to find out, maybe from those who cook competitively is, should bark be easy to bite through? Or is bark just a term for the outer layers of your cook being a little darker due to the smoke, rubs and spices being used?

Sadly, I have to do both wrapped and unwrapped ribs. My wife's family likes "fall off the bone" ribs (I call them "rib mush".) I'm not in that camp. I put mine on about 30-60 minutes sooner and cook unwrapped all the way. I do 3-2-1 for their ribs with a fair amount of liquid for extra mushiness. I just sprinkle salt on their ribs about 30 minutes before they go on. No sense wasting rub that's going to get washed out. I coat the mess with some super sweet sauce to finish, pull the bones out with some tongs and let them go at it. Always a big hit. The good news is that they never ask to have a cut off my ribs, so I get the whole slab.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Boneless rib mush IS sad...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here