Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vac pac n freeze smoked wibs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vac pac n freeze smoked wibs?

I’m going on a trip in our tiny rv, thought I would smoke some wibs n vac pac n freeze em jus like the pulled pork vac n freeze pacs.
    I know all you guys eat every last wib the day ya cook it but thought maybe there’s an outlier here who could tell me I’m gonna luv it?
    Attached Files

That’s a lot of smoke!

i don’t have any experience vac packing ribs but I don’t doubt they be delish. Especially with a sous vide reheat if available!

Comment

good eye, we had a little situation with the smoke....
      all good now though

Comment

Think you’ll be good especially if you have the sous vide.

Enjoy your trip!

Comment

It'll work jus fine, good eats on th Trail, Brother!

Comment

I do this every time I cook ribs. I by mine at Costco and they are packed as a pack of three racks. With just me and my wife we always have two racks left over. I split them into half racks, vac seal, and freeze. Reheat via Sous Vide. Yummy every time. But various other ways to reheat. Foil wrap and in the oven or smoker works great too.

Comment

You're gonna luv it. I do it all the time because it just is not worth cooking enough ribs for just my wife and I. Keep them in their vacpac (important) and drop in some boiling water to heat up. Best way for RVing - next to the real process!

Comment

Ya got my attention! Where ya goin?

Comment

• smokenoob
                  smokenoob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  goin’ to peanut country to a farm near Jimmy’s place. We camp, BBQ, and attempt to fly things with our feet on the ground.
                  Somehow, moonshine always finds it’s way into the mix....

Ditto what the other guys are saying -- it works fine. I reheat gently and only enough to take the chill off -- getting ribs really hot seems to make them less tasty and more dry. I will even reheat in the microwave right in the vacuum bag.

Comment

• treesmacker
                  treesmacker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep, in the microwave works in the vac bag... I drop the sealed frozen bag in warm water to thaw, then punch a hole in it and gently heat. I do this for pre-cooked breakfast sausages also - works great, and quick!

Thanks for all the comments! I don’t have sous vide but do have a microwave and boiling water. I’ve done it both ways on pulled pork with good results. Always did one rack at a time for wife and I so if this has good results will up it to two racks and vacpac the second one!

Comment

Good to go but make sure any sharp points, if any, are protected so they don't poke a hole in the bagging material. And yes, sous vide to reheat is the right option. iI using a Food Saver or similar, I suggest double bagging to better prevent seal failure or sharp edge damage especially if sous vide reheat is what you choose to do. $0.02

Comment

• smokenoob
                    smokenoob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ah, good to know. I already single vacpaced them and put in freezer. Should I add another vacpac to the frozen wibs?

• Bighorn Dave
                    Bighorn Dave commented
                    Editing a comment
                    smokenoob; you can but I would do that just before giving them a sous vide bath. If already frozen there really is no reason to do so now.

Sometimes I will vac seal them, sometimes I will strip the meat from the bones, them seal that up and use it for later cooking ideas. That rib meat is fantastic stuff, even off the bone.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    oooooh, that is a great call! Skip

• smokenoob
                    smokenoob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    makes me wanna go thaw them right now!

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    hahaha, that was my thought exactly! I was thinking if I had any ribs in my freezer. smokenoob

Reheat them in the microwave with a damp paper towel for about a minute at 60%. I’ve done it dozens of times, it works great.

Comment

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Take a paper towel or two, wet them, then wring them out and straighten them. The little bit of steam from the paper towels keeps the ribs from drying out, but it’s not enough to soften the bark.

• smokenoob
                    smokenoob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mosca so you remove them from the vacpac and microwave on damp paper towel? covered with the microwave plate topper to?

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Let them thaw in the fridge first. Take them out of the vac pack. Put them on a plate and top them with the damp paper towel(s). Nuke for 30 seconds on high, or 60 seconds on 60%. If you nuke on high, check them, they might need another 10-15 seconds.

I think it’s the only way I’ve ever reheated ribs. I don’t remember doing it any other way. I might have sous vided them once, but this is easier.
                    Last edited by Mosca; April 14, 2021, 09:58 PM.

I don't see why not. Could you maybe do a follow up to let us know how they turned out?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here