Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best honey ham recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best honey ham recipe?

I’ve seen a few videos of guys using a precooked spiral ham and heating it up on the cooker, then spreading honey and such on it to finish it off when it reaches about 130 degrees. It looks good, just wondering if anyone has a tried and true go to recipe as I’ve seen a couple different ones. Thinking for Easter.

Did you check the free side? That one is goood. Apricot glaze I believe.

Comment

• Mark-B
      Mark-B commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll look at that. I have couple family members that aren’t crazy about apricots though.

The apricot glaze is the go to for me. Do it often. Here is a great video as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw_YlfFB3lE

Comment

With a few correct principles and some fast and accurate temperature tools you can turn your next holiday ham into a moist and flavorful family favorite.

Comment

Brown sugar glaze on a spiral after smoking it to about 145 internal. That is all I have done on the last few.

Comment

• Mark-B
          Mark-B commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you just put brown sugar in a sauce pan and heat or add addl fluid \water?

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Smokin fool got it below.

Mark B I would start with 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of brown sugar in a sauce pan then augment with other ingredients.
        Depending on what I have in the spice rack I add cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper, sometimes basil in very small amounts till I get the aroma I want. Experiment to find your own flavor.
        Heat less than medium then add a liquid, no more than 3-4 tablespoons of water, red or white wine, brandy.
        You want this to have a consistency so it does not run off the ham. Trail and error here.
        Good luck.

Comment

My wife once made one with an elaborate glaze. Only problem was that she forgot to take off the plastic wrap that the ham came in. We had a wonderful glazed plastic wrap but the ham itself was plain. Still good though.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I bet she has yet to live that one down. It's good you all can laugh with her about it now. We all have similar incidents in our long and varied cooking experience, so she's certainly not alone. Just ask my family.

Kathryn

I like to add mango chutney with garlic/onion/spices and proper brewed ginger beer in the pan as well. Glaze every 15mines, do it at Xmas every year, family laps it up

Comment

While this isn't "honey" ham, I make these a couple of times a year.

They're easy, foolproof and delicious. I found the recipe on-line years ago. The site no longer exists, but I've made it so often, I can do it in my sleep. It's the best smoked ham that I've ever had.

1)Mix a couple cups of brown sugar and a couple TBS of your favorite rub, (I use Memphis Dust)

2)Smear mustard all over the ham and sprinkle the brown sugar rub on it, making sure to work some of the rub into the spiral cuts. (Save a good handful of rub to use later in the cook)

3)Smoke really low, between 200 - 225 (remember, we're gently heating, not cooking, and don't want to burn the brown sugar)
            After an hour and a half, check on the ham, to make sure the side facing the heat isn't getting too done, if it is, turn down the temp.

4)At 2 1/2 hours, take the ham out of the smoker, place it on a couple of sheets of heavy-duty foil, spray with OJ, sprinkle the remaining rub on the ham, wrap 'er up let it go for another hour, (or until the internal temp hits 140)

5)Rest the wrapped ham for 20-30 minutes.

There will be a good amount of juice in the foil. Pour it into a cup and baste the ham with the juices, right before serving.

I save the hock, and leave a generous amount of ham on it. Mrs. Skinsfan makes stock with it, as a base for bean soup.

Even though most spiral hams are smoked, I still use 4 decent sized chunks of hickory. My smoker is a 22" Weber kettle with the original SnS.

Last edited by Skinsfan1311; March 30, 2021, 08:16 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I like this. Thanks!

Kathryn

I'll be watching this. I've always wanted a good double-smoked "honeybaked ham" recipe.

I see some on the internet that use a honey/butter glaze to start with then a few hours later add brown sugar/spices mixture at the end and crank up the heat to caramelize the brown sugar, then brush with a glaze made with the remainder of the brown sugar/spice mixture and heat to set the glaze. I'm thinking to add the spice mixture to the honey/butter mixture, saving one step, then doing the glaze at the end.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; March 31, 2021, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
              I'll be watching this. I've always wanted a good double-smoked "honeybaked ham" recipe.

I see some on the internet that use a honey/butter glaze to start with then a few hours later add brown sugar/spices mixture at the end and crank up the heat to caramelize the brown sugar, then brush with a glaze made with the remainder of the brown sugar/spice mixture and heat to set the glaze. I'm thinking to add the spice mixture to the honey/butter mixture, saving one step, then doing the glaze at the end.

Kathryn
              That sounds good too! The only thing that would give me pause, is that to caramelize the sugar, you would have to unwrap the ham, and I don't know how that would affect it overall, as the juice, and resting, seem to be integral parts of the process.

Note that this cooked ham freezes very well. We typically have one hot meal, then sandwiches, then vacuum seal meal-sized portions for the rest. In addition to the hock, I save a nice sized chunk for Mrs. Skinsfans soup stock.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to know. Thanks!

Kathryn

I tried the ultimate recipe today on my Smokefire with smoke tube fired up. Cooked it @ 250 for an hour then wrapped it in foil with the broth mixture until it was 120 degrees internal. Glazed it and cooked for another 10 minutes unwrapped. Used the torch on it then to brown it up a bit and then served. It was good, but not really any more smoke. I did like the flavor of the glaze as did the family. I’d say it was a success. Only thing, didn’t seem to be any different than what an oven would turn out. May try the charcoal route next time. In the end I wasn’t overly wowed, but it was tasty and will have plenty of leftovers.
              Last edited by Mark-B; April 4, 2021, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here