Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gamey Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gamey Bacon

This last weekend I followed Jess Pryles' recipe for bacon. It has an almost gamey/chemically taste to it. Has anybody ever experienced this? I don't think it's the belly I sourced as I've had pork from them before. Maybe the curing salt was a bad ratio? I'm not sure that it could be the cause though, wouldn't too much curing salt just make it...saltier?

this one? https://jesspryles.com/recipe/how-to-make-bacon/

That PP#1 amount is .5% of the weight which is a bit high but not outrageously so (we're talking a difference of 3mg for the 3lb of bacon she bases that on).

For how long did you cure it?

BTW, I never use volume amounts for curing. Get a decent scale, convert to grams and use that. She asks for 1tsp of PP#1. A perfect teaspoon is 6grams. But a slightly heaping one could be 8 or 9. And you really want 3, for 0.25%.

It's just easier to do things by weight and metric makes the math easier.
    Last edited by rickgregory; March 23, 2021, 09:27 AM.

Comment

rickgregory Yes that's the one. I actually did convert everything into weight because the belly I had was a little under 3 lbs and wanted to have the ratios correct. Idk, maybe it was just a gamey piece of pork? I've never heard of such a thing but perhaps...

Comment

Any chance it was a wild boar belly?

Comment

• JakeT
          JakeT commented
          Editing a comment
          Jim White nope, Heritage Berkshire. I'll try again with a costco belly and see if that's the cause. Or just ditch that recipe and go with Meathead's. I wanted to use the Jess Pryles one to avoid a wet cure.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          JakeT I dry cure, so that's not it. Heritage... could be feed or how it was raised? Gamey is one thing, chemically is another. Also, the paprika is an odd touch.

I use this https://ruhlman.com/homemade-bacon/
          Last edited by rickgregory; March 23, 2021, 08:23 PM.

What type of wood did you smoke it with. Did you have clean smoke the whole time? Any dripping burn off on burner giving dirty taste?

Comment

• JakeT
          JakeT commented
          Editing a comment
          I did have a period where the temps dropped and I had some dirty smoke, maybe 10-15 minutes. I used hickory.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here