Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen Dough: Time and Technique To Thaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen Dough: Time and Technique To Thaw?

I've frozen a ball of dough after the cold ferment and before the proof. It's wrapped in Saran, then foil, and is in a freezer bag. Better to thaw in the fridge or at room temp? For the method you prefer, how much time should I add to my 2 hr proofing time? I normally allow 2 hrs at room temp when I pull the cold ferment from the fridge, so I'm guessing another 2 hrs to for the frozen ball.

I'd thaw it a room temp and proof until its proofed. I know that can be seen as a useless snarky answer, but in reality, given the particulars posted its the best available. Yeast is quite an independent being, it'll do what it wants in the time it needs. Forget your watch and pay attention to the dough, assuming you've been baking for a bit, you'll know when its ready for the oven. As a recent personal example, 2 days ago the recipe said final proof should take 2-4 hours, it took 6. All good, just Monday morning S-L-O-W.

Comment

If I think about it, I'll thaw overnight in the refrigerator and if it's fully thawed, several hours at room temp should do for the final proof, but as mentioned above, the dough will tell you when it's ready. Just poke it with your floured finger. It should rebound about half way.

Comment

Understand, and thanks. I've enough experience to count artisan bread baking but have never frozen dough. We'll let mealtime come as it may for the first go, and I'll ultimately get my sea legs. Starting with the fridge should give me a better idea of how long the final proof should be the next day.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here