Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made from scratch homemade grilled pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made from scratch homemade grilled pizza

Practice makes perfect! After some trial and error we have finally mastered the grilled pizza in our outdoor kitchen. Initially, I used just the 2 burners beneath the stone at a higher temp. I could not achieve a good balance of stone temps and air temps.

Now, those burners under the stone are at near minimum setting, but I have added the rotisserie burner. Viola! Stone temps are best between 650° F and 700° F. The air temp is around 700°F. You can see from the infrared thermometer, the stone temp plummets 50° when the pizza is added. Crusts are crisp and not too dark. It was the use of the rotisserie burner that solved the problems I was having getting a good balance of stone temp and air temp. I recommend giving this setup a try. It took me a half a dozen times trying different combinations and settings to get this figured out. Now, it is totally reproducible and the homemade pizza are great.

Moderators: I tried to share this in the pizza recipes section. Mucho, mucho problemas trying to log in so that I could comment and share. Thanks from down here in Texas!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dr._Pat; February 9, 2020, 08:14 PM.

I got her moved. Took a little time. I'll blame it on traffic.

Nice write up, so surgeon like.

Comment

• Dr._Pat
      Dr._Pat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Looking forward to Memphis!

Quality!! I'm hungry for that!!

Comment

Great post Dr._Pat . Grilled pizza is sooooo good!

Comment

Looking good, doc! The key to good pizza (as you have discovered) is to have hot air over the pizza, not just under it. That way there's balance in the cooking, so the toppings get cooked properly.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Those are some good looking pies! I want to start making my own pizzas! Got to stop being lazy

Comment

Great job! Thank you for sharing your technique. Very helpful

Comment

Couple questions @Dr._Pat , realizing that your answers are subject to your grill parameters, but might be a reasonable guideline. You said "at minimum settings", I would imagine you'd need the under burners set higher than minimum to get the stone that hot even with the infrared on. No? How long did it take to heat soak the stone before dropping the pie on? How long was the bake to get that beautiful color on the crust? TIA

Comment

• Dr._Pat
                  Dr._Pat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The two burners under the stone were only turned a small amount from the "minimum" setting detent. With the rotisserie burner on, the pit gets very hot. I started preheating the stone about 45 minutes before I planned on putting the first pizza on. 4 minutes on the cook. I turned it a couple of turns with a metal peel.

Very nice! I’ll take one with half side of the works & the other side with........well....... the works. 🕶

Comment

• Dr._Pat
                  Dr._Pat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That "works" for me!

That just looks terrific! Beautiful 'leoparding' on the bottom crust. Looks like you have the temperature dialed in for that.

Comment

@Dr._Pat, thanks for the good info and development you provided. I finally got around to giving your method a shot. Understandably we have different equipment, so I had to adjust a bit. I've got a Summerset TRL44 so there's a bit more volume under the double wall hood to warm up, my back IR is only 4 panels, but don't know that that matters, it's rated at 15k btu. Under the grates I have 4, 20k ovoid shaped cast stainless burners. I first tried just the stone to see what reactions I got, no change to the normal cooker configuration. It took a good hour to heat the stone to 500 with just the two center under burners and the IR on, all three at full bore. So I went in and took out the heat diffusers (the ceramic puck on a ss grid type) and the center zone divider panel with the idea that opening that area directly under the stone would benefit. That did it. Next run I had all four under burners on low and the IR on high and the stone got into the 575-600 range depending on where I shot the surface in about 20-25 minutes. I thought about cranking it up a bit to get the extra 50 degrees it looks like you used, but I do my crust a bit thinner so left it. It turned out great. My crust bottom didn't get quite as dark as your in the spots, but had a nice, even baked tone, and nice crisp. I went for just a bit more char on the top edges. All in all 5-6 minutes with four rotations during that. Very pleased. Thanks for the info.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pizza gasser.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	812286

Comment

• Dr._Pat
                    Dr._Pat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The technique, once mastered, has proved to be a winner for us.

Looks delicious!

Comment

So, if there are any of you in Pitmaster land who see this thread from time to time and maybe say something like, "I need to try that some time." to yourself, just do it. Since my last homage to @Dr._Pat a couple months ago I've made a few more and gotta tell ya, this is a very repeatable method. Not as quick as a genuine Neapolitan oven, but 6-7 minutes ain't bad. Dome temp was 550-575, stone was 650ish except right in front of the rotisserie burner where it was 730ish (though once the dough hits it the moisture release probably equalizes at a lower temp). The crust char is intentional and to the uninitiated probably looks burned but it's not. It's a combination nutty/sweet, and such chew. Enjoy...…..

Click image for larger version  Name:	pizza gasser 03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	327.6 KB ID:	846575Click image for larger version  Name:	pizza gasser 04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	419.5 KB ID:	846576 .
                    Last edited by Uncle Bob; May 15, 2020, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• Dr._Pat
                      Dr._Pat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Perfect "leopard spots" on that crust. Those dark edges on the top are my favorite part of the pizza!

• Uncle Bob
                      Uncle Bob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah Pat, my bride too...…………..she grabbed that big spot on the lower left almost before I got done slicing......LOL

• Dr._Pat
                      Dr._Pat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Smart gal!

Dr Pat, thank you for coming up with this technique. I was considering buying a pizza oven for our outdoor kitchen redesign, but while researching, found your post. We have a Blaze propane grill with a rear burner, so I gave it a try. Fantastic result—our grill is now our pizza oven.

Our latest is below. We use a standard circular pizza stone, wooden peel for on/off the grill, and a metal pizza spatula for turning.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                      Jerod Broussard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      mushrooms!! woohooo!!

• barelfly
                      barelfly commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice first post! Welcome to the Pit…from the Land of Enchantment!

• RonB
                      RonB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Welcome to The Pit.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here