Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detroit Style Pizza--Brick Cheese Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detroit Style Pizza--Brick Cheese Question

What age of cheese is the standard for DSP? Aged and stronger or young and mild?

I do want to try the"authentic" thing first as I've never had DSP. After looking at shipping prices for the cheese ($50--$75), I'm not sure I'll actually buy any until I see it in one of the couple of "fancy" cheese places that I get to on occasion, but I'd like to be sure to get the right version when I finally stumble into it.

Speaking of shipping charges for stuff that needs refrigeration and thus rapid delivery, how can places like Porter Road offer free overnight shipping for orders over $100 and a (unnamed) cheese place charge $75 for overnight? Heck, even D'artagnan only charges $40 for a fairly heavy package.

Finally a huge shout-out to Porter Road and allsid for bringing it to our attention.

Originally posted by Willy View Post
    What age of cheese is the standard for DSP? Aged and stronger or young and mild?

I do want to try the"authentic" thing first as I've never had DSP. After looking at shipping prices for the cheese ($50--$75), I'm not sure I'll actually buy any until I see it in one of the couple of "fancy" cheese places that I get to on occasion, but I'd like to be sure to get the right version when I finally stumble into it.

Speaking of shipping charges for stuff that needs refrigeration and thus rapid delivery, how can places like Porter Road offer free overnight shipping for orders over $100 and a (unnamed) cheese place charge $75 for overnight? Heck, even D'artagnan only charges $40 for a fairly heavy package.

Finally a huge shout-out to Porter Road and allsid for bringing it to our attention.
    Thanks for the shout out Willy ! In my experience, each company is beholden to its own shipping/business model. It's a bit of a mystery I am not prepared to solve... LOL-

Comment

Keep it simple. Go to the store & buy a "brick" of cheese of some local farmer. I know I live in Wisconsin & we are awash in quality cheese but, Deetroit Pizza is not some exotic chef inspired Michelin gourmet meal. I mean it was started in Deetroit for cryin our loud & it’s pizza for cranking a Ford (as my ma used to say). They were baked in used automotive pans, to save money not fleece someone of a future generation. 🕶

Comment

I've tried this and it's much more affordable: https://www.wisconsincheeseman.com/p...=Brick&start=1. However, while pretty good, it's not worth the expense and, as FireMan mentions, pretty much any decent hunk of cooking/melting cheese will be fine. You're building a pizza, not a piano. Here's a great thread started by coreyo https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...zza-techniques

Comment

I went to a semi-gourmet natural food type store and begged the lady at the cheese counter to order some brick cheese for me. Maybe give that a try? Most likely the place they order from has it available. You might need to buy 10 lbs at a time or some thing like that but considering you will probably use at least a pound per pizza it does go pretty quick. I think mine was $8 or $9 per pound so not cheap but still much cheaper than paying for shipping.

As far as aging I would shoot for something in the middle. You want a bit of tang in it but definitely don't want it overpowering.

And if I was in a pinch I would probably use a combination of provolone, jack, and mozzarella if I couldn't get my hands on brick cheese.

Comment

Go here:

Ehlenbach's Cheese Chalet specializes in wi cheese, gift baskets, sausage and cheese curds in WI. Located near Madison, Waunakee and Sun Prairie.

Far and away the best cheese shop in Wisconsin.

And if you really want to curl your tongue try their 15 year old aged cheddar, it's ridiculous!
            Last edited by ribeyeguy; May 14, 2019, 07:53 PM.

Comment

After looking at some of the documentaries on Youtube, it seems that most of the Detroit pizza places use a combination of Mozzarella and Wisconsin Brick cheese. I've yet to find any source that gives any type of ratio. Kudos to anyone who can find this information.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here