Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detroit Style Pizza!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly is Detroit style, not sure I know? I'm originally from the south side of Chicago and we grew up on a cracker then crust pizza. Personally you can have the deep dish kind, too much dough. I like the crunch of thin crust and the taste of the meat and cheese.

I hear you on the weather, it was hunker down time in Htown. Great job Lon, wish I had a piece right now !!!

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Deep dish with a square crust that is basically butter fried on the bottom with a frico like ring around the top crust. Heavy on the cheese, but not as heavy as Chicago style. The sauce is spicier than most and is served in two stripes on top. If done right, you have to remove the pan from the pizza, not the other way around.

What is different about the Detroit style is the crust, and you pretty much build the pizza upside down. The thin steel parts trays give the crust a heck of a good searing on the bottom and the edges! Ya got to have cheese touching the pan around the whole edge so that cheese melts into the dough and gives it that nice fried crunch.

I'm no pizza expert for sure but I love me some pizza. My favorite is the super thin crust, but I'll eat theses all day long!

There are several chains in Detroit that has the Detroit style. Some here in Houston even do it.

Good Wiki read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit-style_pizza

The basic recipe I followed was on FoodWishes when I first did this one. I have watched a few videos on Buddy's too. Dang good! Lots of good info over on pizza making dot com too.

Comment

lonnie mac Buddy's crust is unique. It's unlike any other pizza crust I've ever had. I love both thin and thick cut pizzas and make both at home. Different strokes for different folks and all that. Personally I think the best Buddy's pizza is cheese and pepperoni. Any more toppings than that serve as a distraction from that amazing crust. What really nailed the look of a Buddy's pizza was the top edge of the crust - that slightly overcooked crunchy cheese is quintessential Buddy's.

Comment

We cook Detroit style pizza about twice a month here. We too use the olds square blue steel folded corner automotive pans. Detroit style is my personal favorite pizza. Gotta love that fried style crust with the almost frico sides with the two stripes of spicy sauce. I'll take a pepparoi and a nuts and bolts please! Great looking pie my friend!

Comment

Check out the signature pizza's at Buddy's Zagat rated!

DSP - is becoming a thing in SF

Comment

Huskee - did I mention I'm a newbie

Comment

Troutman - see post #20 from SF Chronicle

Comment

It all started with Buddy’s. First offshoot or partner in the 40’s opened Cloverleaf, which is where I would go, it’s on the east side. Great Detroit style, also Louie’s in Hazel Park & Shields has a couple of joints.
                Little Caesars which is Detroit based came out with one a couple of years ago, as did Jet’s, which is a northern burb based. I once heard there is more pizza joints per capita than Chi-town. My last stop living in the area was East Detroit, now Eastpointe. If memory serves me right, town of 20k, 19 pizzerias.
                Like I said I lean towards Detroit style, but like some variations once in awhile. When I moved to WI, Milwaukee area, I remember my horror when I picked up a paper & it voted Pizza Hut as best pizza in town. I have yet to find a really good pizza in this state. I was spoiled.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here