Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bruschetta on the grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruschetta on the grill

OK, this sounds easy but I fail at this (only two tries though).

Bruschetta should be toasted brown (over a coals) but should have a soft interior. I'd like the grill marks. Mine get black immediately on the surface. I know a spray of oil would do the trick but I'm trying to be a purist an oil first is not how it is done in Italy (purist at fault). Anyone have a good setup?

Food science: if using oil first, I recommend not using olive oil. A high smoke temp neutral flavored oil should be used. Olive oil has a high smoke temp but at as low as 240 degrees it starts to develop do-bads. Since it is on the bread surface and exposed to direct heat those do-bads should form.

Cheers!

I make brucshetta every day at my job, so maybe I can help. Your grill is too hot. So, either make a smaller fire, or have your cooking surface farther from the coals. The only oil you will need is mixed with the tomatoes. It will soak the bread a little bit, and give a real buttery flavor. We do ours in a 600 degree pizza oven. At home, I use a pizza stone. However, if you want grill marks on the bread, just move your grates away from the heat. If you like, I have a foolproof bruschetta recipe. It's killer. I hope this helps.

Comment

• Strat50
      Strat50 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, here goes:

1 cup diced tomato, seeded. Use the ripest you can find. Roma, cherry, or grape tomatoes are best.

1 tsp. fresh minced garlic

1 Tblsp. fresh chopped basil

2 Tblsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

A scant ½ tsp. kosher salt

Fresh baguette sliced ⅝-¾ inch rounds

Grated cheese for topping. Pecorino romano, Parmesan, Mozzarella or any combination of these work well. A good non-salty feta is also good.

Mix 'maters, garlic, basil, evoo, first, then add salt(it makes a difference, really). Place a rounded pile of the tomato mixture onto the bread rounds, top with cheese(s) of your choice, then bake in a hot oven, or in your bbq with a pizza stone. Temps can be from 350-550 or so. Cook till toasted the way you like, usually between 3 and 8 minutes depending on your rig. The above recipe is just a series of proportions, tweak to suit your taste. It should feel oily to the hand, as the evoo gives an almost "buttery" goodness in this short but hot cook. The evoo also soaks the bread a bit which will inhibit burning for a bit. Enjoy.

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the recipe Strat!

• Moscuba
      Moscuba commented
      Editing a comment
      Good information, thank you. Yeah, I knew it was too hot the first time when they burst into flames ☺ (800 degrees via infrared, good for pizza bad for bruschetta and I was trying to cook both the same meal). I may stoop to the gas grill for bruschetta and/or a stone.

Oooh, maybe I can do bruschetta and pizza by using a stone to block the direct heat and place a cooking rack on it to get hot and make the grill marks.

Nice purist approach and thanks for the simple recipe. Cheers!
      Last edited by Moscuba; February 15, 2015, 10:52 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here