Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detroit Style Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detroit Style Pizza

Still working to perfect my Detroit Style Pizza. Used ideas from J. Kenji López-Alt at Serious Eats and Tony Gemignani's The Pizza Bible before, but followed The Pizza Bible this time for the dough, sauce (except I added a bit a garlic powder), and cook method- which involves cooking the dough a bit before putting on any toppings.

Although my last Detroit Style Pizza was good, this one turned out even tastier. Dough was more flavorful and had better texture than last time. I also used Boar's Head pre-sliced pepperoni under and on top of the cheese. Boars head is not as spicy as Gallo, Margherita, and other brands I have tried; and I like it better.

Although I can find true Wisconsin Brick Cheese at our local Cheese Importers (yes, that's what it is called and it's a treasure for cheese lovers);it's very pricey so I use 1/2 and 1/2 of monterey jack and low moisture mozzarella, along with sprinkles of asiago and parmesan.

If you haven't had Detroit Style Pizza yet, make it or find someplace that makes it. If done right, you will not be disappointed.

FYI- the pieces without sauce are for my daughter as she is not a big fan of tomato sauce. The black edges is not charred dough, it's charred cheese and is delicious!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0775.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	540008

Name:	IMG_0776.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	540009

Name:	IMG_0777.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	540010

That looks great.

Comment

I live in metro Detroit and that looks great. Its like i am looking at a slice of Buddys Pizza. Good Job!

Comment

• CowboyScott
        CowboyScott commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow- Thanks! If I’m ever back in Detroit, I plan to stop by Buddy’s.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Is Shields still around?

• Idleratchet
        Idleratchet commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan Yes! I work in Southfield and there is one 1/4 mile away on telegraph and 10 mile. Also excellent pizza.
        Last edited by Idleratchet; August 23, 2018, 08:24 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo

i have made several Detroit style pizzas here in NJ! I can not get brick cheese so I always use munster and it works like a charm. Delicious.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
        Jon Liebers commented
        Editing a comment
        its half munster and half white cheddar.

• Jon Liebers
        Jon Liebers commented
        Editing a comment
        always by a block of cheese and hand grate. The white cheddar goes around and up the sides , munster covers the middle. after its cooked, add two racing stripes. Really really tasty.

• Jon Liebers
        Jon Liebers commented
        Editing a comment
        be sure to have a Detroit pizza pan, it makes a difference. Same with Chicago, invest in real
        specialized pans.

We have a place across the street from work that makes Detroit style. Very worthy, though my friends from the "pizza belt" scoff.

Comment

• CowboyScott
        CowboyScott commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m working my way up to trying to make Chicago deep dish.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably not that hard, atc. I'm a thin crust devotee, on a carb restricted diet, living in the pizza capital of the US.

Good looking Detroit I have one of those special Detroit pans. I've made Detroit a few times in a kamado For the last few days I've been thinking of trying one in the WFO this weekend. Then I opened the pizza subforum (for the first time) and what pops up is your Detroit thread Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something

Comment

Yup, ckreef things just might be in alignment.

Comment

ckreef- would love to see what you make.

It's been a month since I made Detroit Style as I made a couple of NY and have been trying other things on my grills. I think it's about time to make another Detroit!

Comment

I immediately thought of Buddy's when I saw the pics. Metro Detroit has several Buddy's locations. Be sure to also get their antipasto salad.

Comment

Well I went and did it. A Detroit Style Pizza in the WFO. I used the King Arthur recipe and used King Arthur Pizza Blend Flour. Did this while trying to finish off an inside project. Mrs skreef made the dough while I fired up the WFO. Very pleased with the results.

Name:	dwfo1.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	560585

Name:	dwfo2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	560586

Name:	dwfo3.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	560587

Name:	dwfo4.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	560588

​​​​

Comment

• Skip
                Skip commented
                Editing a comment
                Great looking pizza! I use KA Pizza Flour Blend sometimes too. Wonderful job!

• CowboyScott
                CowboyScott commented
                Editing a comment
                That looks great. Love the oven.

• ckreef
                ckreef commented
                Editing a comment
                Mrs skreef really likes the taste of the pizza blend flour so I use it often (when appropriate).

What I learned today. Never read a Pizza thread right before dinner, when Pizza is not for dinner. Wow, that looks so good!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here