Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking on my arch-nemesis...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking on my arch-nemesis...

Today is the day I re-enter the arena and lock horns with my long-time enemy.....pizza.

Hey - stop laughing! Everyone has a weakness....this one is mine.

I suck at pizza and always have. From not being able to even get the pie off the peel, to not being able to get it off of a stone, to weak sauce, to sometimes all of the above at once, and more...

I swore off even trying for a long time b/c of the frustration. slowly reintroduced myself to some research. and today I go back in....wish me luck. I'll update later, and if I dont, well....you know what happened.

Good luck perfecting the 7th deadly sin!
    remember, pics required so we can fully evaluate your progress!

Comment

I'm right there with you, xaugievike. Pizza is not a skill anyone in my family ever had, and I don't have a point of reference for how it should be done, other than what I have read on here. I'll figure it out one day, but it's hard because it isn't something I would do very often even if I was good at it.

Comment

Good luck brother. I too struggle with pizza. So you are not alone my friend.

Comment

Get your stone to at least 500 degrees, having an IR thermometer is a must. We roll our dough out on parchment paper and after getting all the stuff on, we put it on the stone with a wooden peel still on the paper. After a couple of minutes you can lift the edge of the pie and pull out the paper. When finished we remove it with a metal peel. Don't over pile the toppings and keep checking the bottom of the pie for doneness by lifting the edge and looking.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
            Sfdrew28 commented
            Editing a comment
            Does the parchment paper prevent the bottom from cooking properly?

• wrgilb
            wrgilb commented
            Editing a comment
            Not at all, you'll cook it about 2 minutes before you remove the paper and then the pie sits on the stone.

Go ahead and be this guy.....git 'em

Comment

Never give up on pizza!

Comment

I'm not the best at pizza either (or probably anything for that matter!). As stated above, one thing that really helps and I probably won't do it any other way going forward is to use parchment paper under the pizza (cut to just fit under the pizza) as it goes on the stone. I do remove it after a minute or two as it easily slides out from the pizza after it starts cooking. Good luck!

Comment

Forget the pizza stone and other specialized pizza thingamajigs.
                Cast iron, high heat = pizza. No need t preheat the cast iron.

Pizza sauce is very easy to make. You just need a secret ingredient in it...... good quality anchovies.

Comment

You're not alone! I am so hit or miss with my pizzas. Yesterday was my worst miss as the dough just ripped apart and I used the same recipe that it came out great last time. I literally launched my failed pizza from the grill into the field next to where I live off the pizza wheel. LOL Just ordered the "The Elements of Pizza" to try and become a zen pizza master.

Comment

• xaugievike
                    xaugievike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ha - im glad im not the only one!! a stone, a peel, a few bottles....all may or may not have been launched a time or 4.....

But, but then we wouldn’t be able to say "xaugie sucks at pizza". It sorta has a nice ring to it. I am torn.

Comment

• xaugievike
                    xaugievike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    if history is an indicator you'll still be able to make the claim - so for now, you dont have to give a rip....I'll let you know if/when you should.

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I dunno, that "Elements of Pizza" book could be a game changer from what I've read in it so far. And my wife, who is . a good pizzamaker, agrees!

Pizza is not an issue for me. I can eat a whole one.

Comment

I finally won a round!!!

im not declaring victory, but I definitely got some shots in tonight....just the fact that I got it off the peel and onto a grill beats 3/4 of my previous attempts. getting it off the stone accounts for the other 1/4!

made 2 versions of the same pie. version 1 I made on my kettle. On this version I dont think I had my fire hot enough or I didnt let the stone get hot enough first - or likely a combo of both....the bottom started to burn before the top of the pizza was melted/bubbling like I hoped for. I left the pie in for way longer than planned and had some blackening on the bottom that I didnt like. I did have a probe in to check relative temps and it was reading 533 when I added the pizza...I know this is where an IR thermo would help and I ordered one before logging in here. lesson learned. it wasn't a total loss at all. some parts that weren't burnt were very good and I could taste that hint of charcoal/live fire taste that I want in the future.

so I audibled and fired up the genesis at full song and moved the stone over there....this pie behaved more like I expected. was only in for like 6 minutes. bottom was bubbling and browned and the bottom was perfectly crispy with no burning. the other mouths agreed that this one was better (duh).

so at least I made a dent as far as technique goes. gives me a place to hopefully improve from next time where I will repeat the recipe. if that goes well I can start tinkering more with ingredients....which, I should add, were not bad! I added molasses to this crust aiming for some sweetness and it delivered.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looking good, one option to practice a little is precook the dough a little this way you have the beginnings of a crust making it easier to slide off until you are 100% comfortable. Stand ready with a fork and poke any bubbles if you try that method this way you get a nice crust cooked through and melted cheese on top. I made a focaccia bread last night and it came out terrible I was so mad but just keep at it.

Comment

The times I made pizza on the grill I followed the dough recipe and the instructions in "The Barbecue Bible" (Raichlen), and I did it on the Weber Genesis, on the stock cast iron grates, and also over charcoal on my offset with a charcoal pan in the main chamber. Came out great, although the first pizza I ever did was a little "blackened" on the bottom. I don't have a pizza stone (wife cracked it in two years ago), but his instructions are to get the dough onto the grill for 1-2 minutes, let the bottom cook, then FLIP the crust, and build the pizza on the grill, on the side that you just cooked for 1-2 minutes. I just had my sauce and toppings all laid out ready to go on the side table, and slapped it all on there pretty quick and closed the lid for a few minutes, then it was done.

I'll have to try this again, then maybe progress to a pizza stone or something on the grill.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here