Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Pizza Peel ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Pizza Peel ?

I need some opinions on what Pizza Peel to buy. Aluminum, or wood? I will be using it with an oven attachment on a Pellet Grill.
    Thanks in Advance
    Scott

I like my aluminum one better than my wood one. I dont even know where the wood on is to be honest.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
      Pirate Scott commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jon

I like wood going in, metal for turning and out.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
      Pirate Scott commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh boy, I am gonna need both? The treasury dept is not gonna like that! Ha Ha.
      Thanks Ed.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife made two wooden ones out of birch from a wrecked piece of furniture. Biscuits for joining strips parallel to each other. Finished with the mighty belt sander. But she was a carpenter - not so sure I could have done it. Those things are still in use 10 years later!

• Pirate Scott
      Pirate Scott commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF that is awesome, I have the tools and the materials. That would make a great project. Too many ideas not enough Hours.

I would say AL. Wood was great. But after the flood, when I finally found it floating around, it was the shape of a toilet seat it had warped so bad! LOL.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
      Pirate Scott commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Lonnie. Hope things are getting better.

I use both for my pizza oven. Wooden for launching the pizza. Then metal for adjusting and retrieving the pizza.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
      Pirate Scott commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what I am leaning towards, can’t go wrong with both.

Big Green Egg aluminum pizza peel and their rocking pizza peel is what gets used the most here (and we don't even have a BGE). It's lightweight and both hang from the same hook in the rafters in our storage area. Its bamboo predecessor gets used as a cutting board and serving tray now. Only down side to the aluminum is if you use it for a cutting board too much downward pressure can cause permanent impressions in it but even that isn't a big deal.

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
      Sgt Tyree commented
      Editing a comment
      Correction : rocking pizza cutter

• Pirate Scott
      Pirate Scott commented
      Editing a comment
      I was looking at the BGE tools yesterday, at the store but I thought the Oven kit came with a Peel. Thanks.

The only problem with the GMG pizza attachment is that it ruins you for other pizza. Small learning curve and you'll impress yourself with the quality. I use an aluminium peel for in, out and turning. I keep a spatula close by in case the pie sticks a little to the peel then I can lift with the spatula before I launch. I'm using flour as a release agent, use as little as possible, tried corn meal but had issues with the cooked pizza, may try a combo of both at some point. Have fun

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you tried parchment under the dough to prevent sticking? Just put the parchment on the peel, then place the stretched dough on the parchment. If you use an extremely hot fire, you can trim the parchment to leave as little exposed as possible.

• Pirate Scott
      Pirate Scott commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, gonna see if I can figure this out tonight. Having Family over on the 18th.

I agree with those using parchment under the dough. I only have a wooden peel which works well with the parchment both on and off the pizza stone, then as a cutting and serving board for the cooked pizza.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
      Pirate Scott commented
      Editing a comment
      The Destructions say not to use Parchment Paper because the stone is too hot. Do you cook the Pizza on it or just use it to Slide it off the Peel?

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried parchment for my last pizza. My oven gets to 900. I trimmed it up before launch. It worked. I removed the parchment about 30 seconds in. Not sure I'll keep using it though unless I'm making multiple pizzas ahead of time.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think the parchment will burn, but if you are worried, remove it after the bottom has cooked slightly.I do prefer to remove is after ~ a minute - you might get by with less or more time.

I'm still in the learning process. We have a large wooden one for the oven, used it for years with no worries. I just got a smaller aluminium one (Weber) for the PK and I experienced the dough sticking when trying to get it off the mat my wife uses for rolling out dough and off onto the stone.

Comment

I went with aluminum, I am using Semolina Flour to help it slide. Seems to work a little better than Corn Meal.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here