Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greek style Pitabread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greek style Pitabread

These homemade pita bread are usually served with Greek souvlaki! They are soft, puffy and a little more bread like than other middle eastern/Arabic types of pitas.

Outstanding Elton! Since I moved to Wisconsin 28 yrs ago, I have not had any pita bread worth writing home about, having moved from Detroit, where both Arabic & Greek pita abound. I am not into baking, but will definitely give this a try.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks FireMan

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you ever try this brother?

That's a nice video, Elton. Have you considered using a Danish whisk to mix your dough?

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      No, didn't know of something called danish whisk.. lol, Looks interesting, well worth trying.. Thanks for the tip and comment gcdmd !

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Elton's BBQ You're most welcome, Sir. The whisk is especially useful in dealing with high hydration dough to avoid SHS (sticky hands syndrome). Keep up the good work.

Cool, looks like something to try, thanks for sharing.
    gcdmd I had to google Danish Whisk and that looks like something to add the useful gadget arsenal since pizza dough is on the agenda, Thanks.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks and glad you liked the video Powersmoke_80

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      You are most welcome.

For the life of me, I cannot hear the amounts of flour, milk, and yeast. Could I trouble you post them?

Thanks!

Comment

Ofcourse Willy
      Ingredients
      • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
      • 1 teaspoon sugar
      • 160 ml milk, at room temperature
      • 80 ml water, at room temperature
      • 320 g strong flour/all purpose flour
      • 1 teaspoon coarse salt
      • 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
      • 1 tablespoon olive oil + extra for brushing

Method

• Combine the sugar, yeast, water and milk in a bowl. Set the bowl aside for 5 minutes, until the mixture starts to froth.
      • In another bowl, combine the flour, the salt and the chopped fresh thyme leaves and give it a mix to combine.
      • Add the oil to the yeast mixture and stir to combine.
      • Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture in batches. Make sure each batch is incorporated before adding the next.
      • Transfer mixture to a lightly floured working surface. Knead for 4-5 minutes until the dough becomes smooth.
      • Brush a bowl with some oil and add the dough.
      • Cover with a towel and let it rest for about 40 minutes, until it rises and doubles in size.
      • Place a pan over medium heat.
      • Press on the dough to remove the air and cut into 6 equal sized pieces.
      • Place pieces of dough on a lightly oiled working surface. Use a rolling pin to roll out each piece of dough to a circle 20 cm in diameter.
      • Cook the pita bread for 1-2 minutes on each side in the pan, until they puff up slightly.
      • Transfer to a plate and serve with chicken or pork gyro, sausages or vegetables. Sprinkle with chopped thyme.

Comment

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for typing it out!

• Barefootbob
        Barefootbob commented
        Editing a comment
        I like it! I have a milk allergy. Would soymilk work in this recipe? It would change the taste. But it would probably produce bread with the right structure.

Does Arabic pita use just water?

Ever tried to make Turkish pide bread?

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Barefootbob I'm quite sue you can use soyamilk in this recepie. I've have never tried to make pide-bread but i have tasted it. As far as i know Arabic Pita use water (but i'm sure i'll be arrested on this).. :-) Try it !

Great Video Kjetitl! I love the video. Much easier to follow. You get to see all of the little things that sometimes can make a big difference.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Spinaker.. Glad you liked it.

Nice work my other European brother!! The little guys like us are not often seen making dough! You have just inspired me to consider making a video of my own.

Im gonna keep this recipe.
      Thank you sir!
      Erik

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        You are so welcome brother..
        Hope you like the result of the recepie and im glad i could be an inspiration.
        Kjetil

Willy I've often had trouble getting the YouTube videos on these threads to go full screen. I've found that if you click on the title of the video in the upper left corner of the small screen it will take you to YouTube, which will go to full screen. It also has the comments, often including the author's recipe, which was the case here.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info!

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Willy You bet

I will have to watch this video when I get home. I can't watch you tube videos at work. I have danish dough whisk, and I love that thing, btw.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Give the recepie a try.. Those pitas are really good.

Hey, Elton. I finally got around to making this bread today--came out well though my shaping technique ain't so hot. I did it with some sourdough starter (160 grams at 100% hydration), so I reduced the water to zero and cut the flour by 80 grams. We're eating it with chili tonight--next time I'll make some hummus and roast some red peppers.

I'll be making this again! Thanks!!!

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds Great.. glad you liked it Willy!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here