Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NY Pizza Dough HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NY Pizza Dough HELP

I have tried no less than 6 different NY pizza dough recipes from inline, and none come out right. most tear or do not pass the windowpane test. Some come up soggy (I use an Italia pizza oven that can get up to 1,000 if need be), others puff up way to big. Used 3 different flours (cheap all purpose, gold medal all purpose, and king Arthur bread flour) with each. Need help.

Have you considered using 00 flour?

Comment

I have, but will it make THAT big of a difference? I even use a digital postage scale to weigh my flour. double aught wass my next step. Admittadly I am a lousy baker and sausage maker, so I may have to chalk this one up to "just not my thing" kinda like basketball... lol

Comment

Baking bread, and pizza dough is bread, is mostly science with some art thrown in. What that means is that you must be precise in your measurements, (the science). Then you work with the dough until it's "right", (the art). The easiest dough recipe I have found is by Kenji Lopez-Alt, and can be found here. This dough is very easy to make and to work with when it's time to shape it.

When you use volume, (cups), measurements it's very difficult to get the exact same amount of flour each time. It's even harder to know how much flour you need if you find a recipe that uses volume measurements because you don't know how the author put the flour in the cup. Dip and level will put more flour in the cup than spoon and level. After you become comfortable with making bread, you can adjust that type of formula as necessary.

Keep at it. There is a learning curve to making dough.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        that is one of the recipes I use. Granted I don't use a food processor, I use a kitchenaide and have to adjust accordingly. I use a scale instead of measuring cups always. Honestly I prefer Detroit style pizza, and I have perfected it, but all 4 kids and my wife prefer NY style, so I have to learn it. I have the sauce down pat, my only vice is that dang crust, always either too soggy or too fluffy

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB Very well said!

I've used this guy's dough to good effect. http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

Comment

I’ve been trying pizza for the past three weeks and I am using Bobby Flay’s easy recipe here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...recipe-1921714

really easy and seems forgiving (it would have to be for me!). I would say the advice above about accurate measurements is important. I jave been using basic bread flour. I know one of my issues is getting good at the whole dough stretching thing....not easy sometimes! I found I need to leave the dough out to warm a bit longer than they say, if it’s refrigerated.

Keep trying! So worth it....

Comment

I add a small amount of gluten. Check out recipes on pizzamaking.com specifically tom l’s recipe www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=576.msg6541#msg6541

Comment

More mix time? I'm no bread expert, but I assume if you can't pass the window pane test you haven't developed enough stretch.

Comment

I use Chef Jacob’s recipe from Stellaculinary.com. The thing about pizza dough is that you don’t want too much gluten development. It makes the dough more elastic, and harder to shape. I never worry about the windowpane test with pizza dough. Here is a great video on stretching pizza dough:

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here