Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza advice

I love these pizza photos I have been seeing lately. From you Kamado pizza experts I need advice. When I first got my Vision grill I was doing pizza on it with some success. I keep the thing clean. Obviously, I never use lighter fluid. All of the sudden, my pizza started tasting like smoke. This was especially strong on any veggies I put on the pizza. This coincided with the period in which I was experimenting with different lump charcoals. I would get the same result time after time. So I just gave up. I can cook a pretty nice pizza in my stick burner with pretty good results. One of the things I wanted from the Kamado was the pizza cooking, though.

I experienced the same thing on one of my smokers. Traced it back to one of two things (I solved them both at the same time so I cant tell you witch it was) a bad batch of wood, and heavy creosote in the drip pan. hope this helps.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      A trick my wife taught me. Spray it with white vinegar (don't know if it is safe for your camodo) and scrape, spray again and repeat till clean. the vinegar helps dissolve the fat. made it look almost new!!!!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      she said that is how she cleans the dishwasher... I said "so you bathe in vinegar...?" went over like a lead balloon.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Man, ya' Glutton fer Punishment... ouch!!!

What temp were you cooking those pizzas? I'd do a very high heat clean out to clean your Vision, don't spray anything on there. There should be no smoke smell if you're cooking at high temps.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was cooking at high temps when doing the pizzas. I was also getting ugly smoke from the lump I was using. I think I am going to follow the advice of the high heat clean with Kingsford. Thanks. I really want to get into the pizza thing with it.

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, it's gotta be the lump. I've only ever used Rockwood or Royal Oak. Never had an issue with those.

I use Kamado Joe or Royal Oak and burn it close to 900 F. Pizza stone is at 600+ with the IR thermometer. I think if you keep it hot and use a name brand lump you should be in good shape. Just make sure to give it enough time to get the temp you need.
    ​​​​​​

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I am also going to use JCBBQ 's advice a give it a super high pre-clean.

• GregS
      GregS commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow that's hot. How long does it take to cook a pizza at that temperature?

Bout 10 minutes. I peek through the top vent until the meat looks good (it's open anyway )

Comment

I can say at close to 1100, my first NY style yesterday night cooked in about 2 minutes... That is a gusee of course, my digital Oregon scientific went into error, and the ambient on the pizza oven pegged out over 800 I believe. whole oven was cherry red except the heat shroud on top.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, 2-4 minutes is more like it. If I left a pizza in for 10 minutes at those temps there'd be nothing left.

speaking of my aforementioned pizza oven, couldn't I use it to get a wicked sear on my salmon and higher fat steaks, or do you think the aaerosolized fat would ruin the cooker and make fishy pies?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here