Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hint...Revealed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hint...Revealed.

In this post I left a hint. Here's the full story:

I've been picking more tomatoes than we can eat for a while. Not a lot more - just enough that we can give a few away and I can make salsa, etc. Well, I found a recipe by Kenji for foolproof deep dish pizza a while back and saved it. He even has a recipe for pizza sauce linked in that article. I've been eying the pile of plump red tomatoes on the counter and decided there were enough to make the pizza sauce.

Last night I made the simple dough and today I took about three pounds of fresh ripe tomatoes and made the sauce. It made the house smell like heaven. I peeled and cored the tomatoes and ran them through a potato ricer using the coarse plate so they would be slightly chunky. They went on the stove with a little salt, oregano, and red pepper flakes to simmer. I used all the juice too. Then I added seven cloves of garlic that had been sauteed in evoo. I let this simmer until it was very moist, but not runny.

Following Kenji's instructions, I divided the dough and put half in a oiled cake pan. I covered it and let it rise for about 2.25 hours. I then added about .75 C of the sauce and added shredded mozzarella. A little pepperoni sneaked on the top while my back was turned. In about 15 min I had this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pizza.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	357073

The sauce was the best I have made and the pizza was very good, but could have used another minute or two. I will make this again, and next time it just might be on the grill.

Beautiful Pie, Congrats!!!!

Comment

Great looking food!

Comment

Looks like a winner!

Comment

I would so eat that! NICE PIE!!!!!

Comment

It looks fantastic!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Sad but True! Eunice, Prefers Determinate Tomatoe Plants which She Plants with Marygolds between the House and Driveway! South Side, Lots of Sun, She Started Her Plants in April on a Heating Pad under a Grow Light and all the other accouterments of a Master Gardner(She's Not!) The Tomatoes nearly tipped the Dining Room Table over when they Jumped Out of the Ground and Promptly Stalled Out❓ She Planted them anyway❓ I'm not a Gardener so I Don't Interfere❓ I do like BLT's and I am trying to determine If I dare go to the Farmer's Market❓ Any Advice, Help Please❓ It wasn't My Fault She Used "Old- Last Years Seed" 5 Aug 17, 6-7 Flowers, No Tomatoes❓
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
                Last edited by Danjohnston949; August 5, 2017, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• Sharklovers
                  Sharklovers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Danjohnston949 I have all determinates in my garden; every plant is loaded, just not ripe yet! This is the time to back off on the watering and pluck the yellow flowers off...this should make the plants mad enough to start growing and turn red, like they're supposed to...hopefully, that'll help...

• Willy
                  Willy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can't comment on the reason the plants aren't productive (high temps are one possibility), but using last year's seed is definitely not an issue. I routinely use tomato seed that is several years old. If it germinates, it's fine.
                  Last edited by Willy; August 5, 2017, 03:45 PM.

Nice job!

Comment

Wow...beautiful pie!

Comment

At's a Nice a Pizza!!

Comment

Mama Mia ! ! !

Comment

Thanx all for the kind words. This recipe is super easy. All you do is mix the ingredients a bit and let the dough sit overnight. The next day just divide it and put each half in a cake pan with some evoo. Top as you would like and bake. I only baked one pie and I froze the rest of the dough for another day.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                          Mr. Bones commented
                          Editing a comment
                          As always, thanks fer bein' an Enabler LOL!!!
                          This here Forum gonna go 'Straight t' My Hips' !

I think I've gained 20 pounds since entering the pit. I don't know if it's from eating all the great food I've been learning about and experimenting with or just from sitting on my butt so much enjoying this web site.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here