Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Pizza on a Grill (actually, ever)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Pizza on a Grill (actually, ever)

While I love pizza, it's a food we reserve for "every now and then." We're fairly low carb around these parts, but in no universe am I swearing off pizza and cookies entirely! As such, what I've learned is that when I do eat the stuff, I don't want to it to be cheap and lousy. (And frankly, this is a good idea in general.) When I have bread, I want it to be really good. Same goes for pizza.

My wife suggested a pizza night last week and I thought, "Hey, I'm pretty sure I saw an article about using the kettle. This seems like it could be... a project!" She had to know this would become a bit of a homework assignment because, well... that's how I roll.

As always, I opted to make as much as I could from scratch. I used Kenji's New York-Style Pizza Recipe (the sauce and crust). Let me vouch for the food processor method. It rules. I also learned I could add some vital wheat gluten to AP flour to give me some bread flour (about 1 tsp gluten per 1 cup flour). The dough set in the fridge for a few days, which indeed gave it some good flavor. In general, I can vouch for all the prep methods in the article.

I did a setup somewhat similar to the one in the video in The Science of Grilled Pizza. I banked the coals to one side but instead of two firebricks, I used a cinderblock and set a pizza stone on it. (More on that in a moment, because I dunno that I am thrilled with the method and want some more feedback.) I also found a use for the dome thermometer on my kettle! I did actually care about the temperature near the top in this case and didn't need a terrible amount of precision. According to that thermometer, I hit well over 700ºF initially. Not bad at all.

I made three little 6" pizzas. The first was a test and the next two were for the kids. After that I did a pair of 11" pizzas which turned out pretty good, but by the last one I was about 250ºF cooler. I think I'll skip the mini pizzas next time. Anyway, pictures are attached and while this was far from the best pizza I've ever eaten, it was superior to any cheap delivery joint.

Now some questions and observations:

1. In the video, there is a two-zone setup. Why? I rotated my pizzas through the cook, but any reason not to just increase the number of coals and reduce the overall time. Getting the top cooked didn't seem like a huge problem.

2. If you want to do pizza, get a peel. I hacked around it but it was far from ideal.

3. I didn't expect the crust to puff up so much. In fact, when initially stretching, I was worried about going too thin! As you can see from the photo, these babies came out pretty thick.

4. For my own taste, I'm going to double the garlic in the sauce.

5. I was careless and on the last rise let the dough dry out on top. This made the dough a pain to stretch properly. On the flip side, without a peel and cornmeal on hand, it made the sliding process from my makeshift versions easier.

6. I was stingy with the toppings for reasons that, in retrospect, make no sense.

7. Being able to control sauce might be the best thing. I like "just enough" sauce. I find most pizzas from the run-of-the-mill chains use too much (and it doesn't taste as good).

8. If I opt to freeze the dough, when is the best time? After rolling it into balls for the second rise?

Overall this was a win. My next go should be much, much better. Any input would be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by binarypaladin; July 29, 2017, 08:37 PM. Reason: It might help to actually upload pictures.

Very interestin', an' informative / educational post!
    I'd jus' Love to see yer pics...

Comment

• binarypaladin
      binarypaladin commented
      Editing a comment
      I edited the post. You must have started reading before the upload. Ha.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I figgered as much, Amigo!
      Takes a while to add pics, etc.; do it alla th' time
      Thanks fer yer post, an' pics!!!
      Much appreciated!

It looks like you had good dough, but I do agree that thinner might be better. How well did the bottom brown? My problem with pizza on the grill is getting the top and bottom done at the same time. I need to better coordinate the stone temp with the ambient temp.

Comment

I had a few overcooked spots but in general the bottom was fine. I would do an initial 5 minute cook to firm everything up and do a 1/4 twist every 3 minutes after that.

And yeah, thinner. In all honesty it had a very Diogorno consistency albeit with a cleaner flavor.

Comment

No experience with pizza on the kettle (some day...), but a couple of general comments:
        • There's no point chasing thin crust for its own sake, and especially not at the expense of risking tearing it. Thicker home-style pizza works great with the (relatively) lower temperatures and longer baking times in a standard kettle.
        • A light touch with the sauce is paramount. Personally I go light with the toppings as well, by choice: first of all it's the way I'm used to (being Italian and all), plus fewer fatty/greasy ingredients on top mean better oven spring. I love a fully loaded double-cheese, double-pepperoni pizza as much as anyone, but under that delicious half inch of cheese and shiny, radioactive-orange pepperoni grease the crust just isn't as good. I'd rather eat two lightly dressed pizzas than a monster one: to me pizza is as much about the crust as it is about the toppings. YMMV.
        • You can freeze at any point, but the earlier the better. My personal preference would be as soon as possible after making the dough and forming it into balls.
        Looking forward to hearing the opinions of my betters

Comment

• binarypaladin
          binarypaladin commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha! Maybe that's why I like light saucing too. Heavy Italian on my mom's side. And I definitely want thinner. This was closing in on deep dish without being in the dish. Not super thin, but definitely thinner.

• dtassinari
          dtassinari commented
          Editing a comment
          Fair enough

I freeze right after I'm done mixing.

I prefer thin crust and I think you have probably identified the issue, starting out too thick. But those are good looking pizzas and some folks like them that way.

I just don't have luck getting them to release from the peel, corn meal or not, so I gave up. I put parchment paper on the peel and set the parchment on the stone. It comes out with the first move.

If you do run into issues with the bottom finishing first, a good pizza screen between the pizza and the stone can slow down the cooking of the bottom.

I agree with you on the sauce. I think you can go too light, but heavy sauce ruins the crust. I'm with dtassinari that the toppings should be light as well. Especially ones that are going to release liquid (and most do).

​​​​​​​Overall it looks like you just have a few things you want to tweak, but you got a tasty first effort. Good job!

Comment

• binarypaladin
          binarypaladin commented
          Editing a comment
          To cheat the peel I cooked the first 5 minutes on textured baking sheet with flour then dropped it onto the stone for the rest of the cook. I'm going to try a wooden peel next.

Good job binarypaladin . Pizza is so fun on the grill. I too often use Kenji's dough recipe. Recently I've begun using about 30% Semolina Flour for a little different chew on the crust. Since we are empty nesters now we often freeze the extra crust after it proofs in the frig for a day or two. By freezing dough you can control your carb portions easily. IMO you are headed down the right road on pizza. Keep trying different methods to see what works best for you!

Comment

• binarypaladin
          binarypaladin commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha. Yeah, lemme just say there was no controlling carb portions yesterday. (Although I don't when I opt to splurge, as was the case yesterday.) I definitely want some dough on hand. Better than take out.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here