Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your go-to pizza tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your go-to pizza tools?

Before I ran into Amazing Ribs, I had my heart set on getting a Kettle Pizza, but the crew here seems to suggest they are not worth the price (http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_gu...zza_tools.html). That's good news to me, as they are not cheap!

So what do folks around here use for outdoor pizza? I currently have a Weber 22" kettle w/ a Slow 'n Sear, as well as a Weber 3-burner gas grill. We own two round pizza pans with holes in them (for crisping?) but no pizza stone, cast iron griddle, etc.

I'd love to know what people use, and the rough time/temp/setup for their method. Baking Steel has a 20% off sale through this weekend, so I'm considering whether it's worth buying one of their products for pizza. My goal is some beautiful flame-kissed Neapolitan!

Thanks in advance!

We don't do outdoor pizza (yet) ... but we do use a baking steel. Switched from a baking stone a couple of years ago and never looked back.

Comment

I just bought the GMG pizza cooker, but haven't used it yet. I do have a carbon steel pan I use for small pizzas in the house.

Comment

My pizza tools? 1-800-dom-inos.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Boo

Very much akin to ribeyeguy :

Click image for larger version  Name:	samsung-galaxy-s5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	116.6 KB ID:	327907

I would very much like to have a baking steel, or at least a stone....perhaps, soonish, like!

Comment

I have an aluminum peel, (still trying to learn how to get the pizza off cleanly) and I purchased a stone from Walmart:

I bought the peel at home depot for $20, and the stone for $10. I figured for those prices, I would try pizza on my gas grill.

So far I really like the stone, I always put it on a cold grill and heat it up slowly (burners below it on low for a few min). I then take it to about 450. The stone has worked well for me. no issues with cracking or anything. It is only about 3/8" thick, but so far no complaints.
          Last edited by bten; June 3, 2017, 05:23 PM. Reason: Added prices

Comment

• W.A.
            W.A. commented
            Editing a comment
            Use parchment paper under the pie for loading and cooking. It doesnt really burn, once it gets going slide it out from under it.

Kamado with a pizza stone. Wife makes the dough, I just cook it. Parchment paper and wooden pizza peel. I typically like goat cheese on my pizza. And I prefer olive oil (not red pizza sauce). Roaring hot fire and it's done in a few minutes.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds awesome!

• bten
            bten commented
            Editing a comment
            I think I need to get some parchment paper

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, me too. Kamado and pizza stone. I just use the peel no parchment.

So this is a bit of wandering off-topic, but has anyone tried Verasano's in Atlanta (in town or at the airport)? I learned a lot of pizza lore from Jeffy.

Comment

Only did one pizza so far.

Kamado Joe, deflectors on X Rack at top level of D&C, copper plumbing parts as separators, KJ Pizza Stone on top of that. KJ at about 650 degrees. Stone a little under 600. Pizza was a Sam's Club special, with their dough, a bag of mozzarella, pepperoni and pizza sauce. Took 10 minutes to cook, and was actually very good. Not as good as a great pizza place, but better than any home made one I've ever had, and better than most deliveries.

Got enough ingredients to do one more.

Next one after that will be a Lou Malnati's or Gino's East frozen one.

Then, I'll try making the dough, getting all the right stuff to make an authentic Chicago Deep Dish on my own.

Parchment paper. Last time slid on and off a regular pizza pan. Wife gave away the two wooden peels we used to have, as they hadn't been used in decades. Oh well, time to buy new ones.

Jim

Comment

Deep dish pizza pans, baking steel (for thin crust), a peel, great ingredients.

Comment

In with Mr Bones. It's my iPhone...LOL

Comment

Stone, peel, silicone mats, gasser or pellet, depending on the mood.

Comment

Neopolitan is normally baked at 800* - 900*. It's hard but not impossible to get a kettle that high. I have done it, but it melted some parts of the old style lid holder. I used an SnS and added small hardwood splits to get it that high. The problem is getting your stone or steel that hot. You will burn a lot of fuel using the SnS. I suggest preheating in your oven as hot as it will go and then quickly and carefully move it to the grill. Then you have to maintain the grill at your target temp until the stone/steel is the same temp. You will need to use an IR thermometer to check the temp of the steel.

It would be much easier to cook around 450*. You can still preheat the stone in the oven, but 450* on the Weber is not hard, so just wait a few minutes for the grill temp to equalize with the stone and you are good to go.

Comment

Check out this post, it's all about making the Slow and Sear pizza oven!
                      Decided to fire up the kettle and SnS in pizza oven mode again. Works so good. Here's the set up: Full chimney of briquettes poured into the SnS once they

Comment

• dustbuster
                        dustbuster commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Perfect, thanks!

A pizza slicer.... just sayin

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here