Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very basic Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very basic Question

Just made a pizza tonight. The only real issue was getting the pizza off the metal peel. I put lots of corn meal on there and it still stuck! I ended up with a pizza that started square and ended up rectangular, with sauce and cheese on the pizza stone. I did it outside on my gasser.

What should I do to make it easier to make the dough come off the peel? more corn meal? should I oil the peel?

Any ideas or solutions from those of you who do this a lot, would be appreciated.
    Last edited by bten; June 2, 2017, 06:36 PM. Reason: corrected the right word to peel

I use parchment paper less mess

Comment

Wood or metal peel? Dough moisture content is probably the issue but metal peels look easier but really are not. The wood wood releases easier.

Comment

It is a metal one - aluminum

Comment

A lot of pizza dough recipes you see on the internet push the moisture content up to the mid 60% and beyond range. This will make some of the best crust ever but it is the most difficult to work with. Start by kneading in a bit more flour in , using a silicone baking mat for prep and going without a rest directly from a wood peel to the stone. I prefer semolina over corn meal because of the finer texture but that's me.

Comment

• bten
            bten commented
            Editing a comment
            I like the idea of adding a bit more flower. I will try this. I just did a quick pizza with a can of pilsbury pizza dough.

• Dusty
            Dusty commented
            Editing a comment
            Okay, now I understand. The Pilsbury is good dough and I use it myself at times but it is a bit sticky out of the can because it designed to be used in a pizza pan. So, don't knead anything into it but heavily flour your prep surface. Transfer it post haste with no rest on the peel.

Parchment paper. You can put the pizza on the grill WITH the parchment paper. It won't burn onto the pizza. The only thing may burn is if the paper comes in contact with the flame. But, if you trim the paper around the pizza and put both the pizza and paper on your pizza stone, that won't happen.

Comment

Good ideas above. If making your own dough, try the 'grab test'. A quick grab and it should not stick to your fingers. If it does, more flour. If you are using just corn meal on your peel, work fast making your pizza. Otherwise the parchment paper is a good way to go. I like to pull it out about halfway through the bake so that my dough gets some contact with the stone.

Comment

Agree with parchment paper for most popular dough recipes. Metal is harder than wood for placing on the stone, but I use a metal peel to remove the pie.

Comment

I have used Parchment Paper a lot. Very easy!

Comment

Sounds like a wet dough. Plenty flour on the peel will stop any sticking unless your doughs too wet. Whats your dough recipe?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here