Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Test Run on Pizza Cave Prototype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test Run on Pizza Cave Prototype

I had some spare time today (read that as.. " didnt feel like working on anything else") and decided to fab up a 16" x 16" pizza oven. First run was on a Charbroil "Commercial" IR with all 3 burners on high. The crash test dummy was a $4 store bought pepperoni with instructions to cook at 425 for 10 to 15 minutes. After a 20 minute pre heat, the bottom plate was around 530 and the top plate around 450. At 5 minutes the crust had a (not) good char on the bottom but still half gooey and cheese melted. Rotated 1/4 turn. Pulled at 8 minutes and let cool. Turned middle burner down to medium and loaded the next victim. Same style pizza.. cooked the same amount of time with lower center temp. A little better but not "OMFG" pizza. Other than the novelty of cooking pizza outside or not wanting to heat the indoor oven, either I am missing something or dont fully understand the concept. My wife like the thin crunchy crust. I prefer the light buttery crust of a pan pizza. The reason for all of this is that I have always wanted to do a true BBQ thick crust pizza with pulled pork, brisket, rib tips and BBQ sauce, maybe throw on a little diced onions and peppers. That would be easy to cook in the oven, but it deserves the respect of being cooked on a smoker... or at least an out door grill.
    Looks like I will be eating alot of test pizzas until I get this figured out

Can we see some pics of the oven? Maybe the we could offer some suggestions. I have heard that some people use your second method. You get the thing rip-roaring hot, then turn off the burner under the stone or steel, so you can get a better top without burning the bottom.

Comment

• rat88
      rat88 commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried to load on first post but the camera icon is gone, had to do it as attatchment

Not sure this even works
    Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      That is groovy as all get out!

Next test will be around 4 minutes on the inside and 4 on the top deck at closer to 400

Comment

All I can see is a box. Is there a back, or is it open? The reason I ask is that it looks like all you are getting for the top of the pie is radiated heat. The bottom is getting conduction heat which looks to be more intense than the radiated heat from the top. It might help if you had some way to direct hot air through your box to supply some convection heat. That will cook the top of your pie faster so that it will hopefully be done before the bottom is over cooked. My first thought would be to use some foil to direct the heat into the back of your box so it could travel through and exit out the front. That hot air looks to be the key to me.

All the pizza gizmos I have seen for the Weber not only use conduction and radiation, but also convection.
      Last edited by RonB; August 14, 2016, 02:59 PM.

Comment

The box is closed on the back. The top plate was in the 450 range on cook 1 so there was some radiated heat going on. The bottom is not attached and can be used as a cooking steel. I had contemplated running a short ridge around the top and place hot charcoal on it for a dutch oven kinda thing. I might also add some 1 1/2" holes in the back corners for air flow.

*** well crap, I forgot I cut the bottom plate 14" x 16". There is a 2" gap all across the bottom in the back***
        Last edited by rat88; August 14, 2016, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rat88 View Post
          The box is closed on the back. The top plate was in the 450 range on cook 1 so there was some radiated heat going on. The bottom is not attached and can be used as a cooking steel. I had contemplated running a short ridge around the top and place hot charcoal on it for a dutch oven kinda thing. I might also add some 1 1/2" holes in the back corners for air flow.

*** well crap, I forgot I cut the bottom plate 14" x 16". There is a 2" gap all across the bottom in the back***
          That gap may be a good thing. Use foil to make sure the heated air has to go through that gap.

Comment

Are you using any smoke? That is an essential element for me.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree just a hint of smoke adds greatly to the taste.

I did toss in a little cherry chips on the second one. Wasnt sure what kind to use and how much smoke needed for a 8 minute cook

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Some folks here have mentioned oak for the smoke.

• rat88
              rat88 commented
              Editing a comment
              I need to make more oak chips. I am down to apple pellets and cherry chips. I have a pile of stuff seasoning, I just have not got around to hacking them up. I have been cutting apple chunks as needed

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here