Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza sauce!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza sauce!

We have collectively spent a lot of time talking about pizza dough and cooking pizza, so I thought it was time to discuss pizza sauce. Do you use store bought, (what brand?), or make your own?

For store bought, Ragu Pizza Quick is my choice for NY style pizza, (yeah, I know... ), which is also my pizza of choice.

It seems like I have tried a bazillion sauce recipes, and I have never been satisfied, so yesterday I decided to come up with my own recipe, and I liked it. I may tweek it a bit, but it works for me as is.

I used Tuttorosso tomato puree because it has the least amount of ingredients of any tomato product available to me - just tomato puree and citric acid.

Here's my recipe:

1 cup tomato puree
    2 medium cloves garlic
    1/4 tsp soy sauce, (for umami)
    1/2 tsp olive oil
    1/4 tsp butter, (for richness)
    pinch salt, (soy sauce is already salty)
    pinch onion powder, (I didn't want anything lumpy)

Mix all together and cook over low heat until reduced to desired thickness. (I went somewhere between the thickness of tomato sauce and paste)

This is not a spicy NY type sauce so I may add some crushed red pepper flakes next time. However, it worked well for me.

So what do you use, and for what kind of pie?

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha, I was looking for this link to post and then realized it was already here. This is our favorite for NY Style toom

What W.A. said. Fantastic sauce.

Comment

I'm looking. I hate chunky.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Immersion blender turns every chunky sauce to a smooth one. As does I-blending then running through a mesh strainer.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, but when you wait a week to clean that stuff...
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; July 23, 2016, 05:39 PM.

Contadina Pizza Squeeze for Sicilian style pizza. Until just a few short years ago if someone mentioned Neapolitan you were talking about ice cream.

Last edited by Craigar; July 22, 2016, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Thanx all for the replies. What - no one else uses sauce??

Comment

RonB - I just didn't want to admit that lately, my go to sauce comes out of a bottle! That recipe of yours sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
            We have collectively spent a lot of time talking about pizza dough and cooking pizza, so I thought it was time to discuss pizza sauce.

Here's my recipe:

1 cup tomato puree
            2 medium cloves garlic
            1/4 tsp soy sauce, (for umami)
            1/2 tsp olive oil
            1/4 tsp butter, (for richness)
            pinch salt, (soy sauce is already salty)
            pinch onion powder, (I didn't want anything lumpy)

Mix all together and cook over low heat until reduced to desired thickness. (I went somewhere between the thickness of tomato sauce and paste)

This is not a spicy NY type sauce so I may add some crushed red pepper flakes next time. However, it worked well for me.

So what do you use, and for what kind of pie?
            I like close to that. Maybe sauté the garlic with the oil until golden. And add a few basil leaves and some black pepper. Have to try soy sauce. If it's the right time of year San Manzano tomatoes fresh from the garden really amp the sauce up. With tomatoes that fresh (coming soon) I would drop everything but garlic (hardneck) salt, and fresh basil and olive oil.

Comment

Meathead 's eggplant parm recipe works really good as a pizza as well. Transfer that onto the dough that has been posted with a little extra mozzarella. Heaven!

Comment

This is the sauce I use, it is Cook Illustrated's recipie and works pretty well.
                • 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and liquid discarded
                • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
                • 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
                • 2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
                • 1 teaspoon table salt
                • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
                • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
                Process all ingredients in food processor until smooth, about 30 seconds. Transfer to medium bowl or container and refrigerate until ready to use.

Comment

I only make sauce when I have fresh tomatoes to work with (usually from my garden). I keep it simple. Grate 5 pounds of tomatoes and add in a tablespoon of tomato paste, olive oil, roasted garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and smoked salt to taste. Reduce it by about half and it's good to go. Simple and beautiful.

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Welcome to the Pit HackingBBQ ...👍

Sounds like you've nailed your sauce making.👌

A can of San Marzano tomatoes and a little salt, if necessary. That is all you need.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's my usual go to. Now and then a cooked sauce is nice as a change of pace. Don't forget to drizzle a little olive oil on top.

I saw a sauce recently that used anchovies. could use paste too I am sure. I know it sound weird, but anchovies usually hide in the background of dishes and adding umami think Cesar dressing... or jack in the Box tacos. (yes I'm sure)

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Chovies are a first-class topping for me!

I had the most amazing pizza sauce in Italy, at a chain restaurant called Rossopomodoro. Definitely san marzano tomatoes, though maybe another tomato blended in. Not sure what else... Could eat it by the bowl. They have a RP in Eataly in NY and here in Chicago, but I don't know that it's the same sauce.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here