Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food, (dough), for thought.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food, (dough), for thought.

Here's a link to an article by John Arena - a pro pizza maker for 50 years. I think it makes several good points, (although you might not agree), so I thought others might enjoy it too.

Let’s face it, for most of us the real obsession, the "Golden Fleece," and "Holy Grail" of pizza, is creating the perfect pizza crust.

Thanks for sharing, that was a good article. I may even buy that bread baking book he recommended.

Comment

I have the digital scale, and I would agree it should ALL be about the crust, maybe on vacation I can whip something up. No longer have the excuse of not enough grill space.

Comment

I read the article and I totally agree with everything he said. Especially about when to add the salt and slow, slow cold fermentation.

What I would suggest to those of you that are just learning to make your own pizza dough is pick a recipe you like and make the same exact dough over and over again. Recipes are literally a dime a dozen, free online, and if you look closely they don't vary hardly at all. The hydration (water) as a % of the weight of the flour varies slightly. The salt content in all of them is 1.5% to 3% of the weight of the flour. The type of flour used depends on how hot you want to bake it. Oil... Some use it and some don't.

As a beginning baker I would not start with a dough recipe that uses oil. How and when to add the oil is not really that difficult but it adds a step that a beginner doesn't need to struggle with. Keep it Simple Stupid.😎

There are many, many, many famous pizza dough makers that give their recipes away for free on 1000's of websites. So... At the end of the day, why have these guys & girls become famous? For the recipe? For their secret blend of flours? No. For the creative toppings they put on their pizza's. No.

The ONLY reason they are famous is because of how they physically handle their dough. Technique, Technique and Technique!!! And long, long cold fermentation of their well finessed dough.

Comment

• SlushDeezey
          SlushDeezey commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd love to learn to make dough for pizza. What's your go-to recipe?

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here