Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Test cook for Pizza on BGE went good...πŸ‘

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test cook for Pizza on BGE went good...πŸ‘

I'm going to have a "Make your own Pizza" party on the 4th of July. I thought in view of the fact that I hadn't cooked pizza for a couple of months on the BGE I better give it a test ride.πŸ‘

I made some sourdough "New York" style pizza dough a couple of days ago and let it ferment in the refrigerator for 2 days. Today I fired up the BGE and preheated it to 650Β° for an hour. While the BGE was pre-heating I stretched the dough into 12" rounds. Prepped the toppings. Pre cooked the mushrooms and sausage. The pepperoni and salami were thin sliced, no need to precook it.

The test cook went well... I'm happy with the sourdough pizza dough. The crust was open and airy and crisp on the bottom without being burnt.πŸ‘ But I'm going to turn the heat up to 750Β° to get better browning on the outer crust and the bottom of the crust on Monday.

The nice thing about baking pizza on the BGE is I cook it with the top vent off... So I can look down the opening to see how the crust is browning... Without opening the dome.πŸ‘

All went well...πŸ‘
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Breadhead; July 2, 2016, 11:07 PM.

Fantastic test is what I call it! Well done. And I too like to look and take photos down from the top.

Comment

I'm thinking I now need to run a few pizza tests - just to make sure I can still do it too. Great looking test Breadhead .

Comment

Is there a number we can call to order one delivered?

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          1-800-gr8-pies 😎

Love looking through the top on the Weber Charcoal Summit. Weber should add this flip vent to all their kettles!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4196.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	189553

Comment

How long do you heat soak the Egg at 650 F? Do you run the egg with the vent open the whole cook? Or just when you check the crust? Breadhead

Comment

Spinaker ...

I do the entire cook without the top vent. I light 3 small fires in the lump. Then I use my BBQ Dragon to ramp the temperature up quickly. I take the temp up to 700Β° and then close the bottom vent enough to control it at 650Β°. I cook both high temperature bread & pizza without the top.πŸ‘ I need the top vent off so I can see how my bread or pizza is browning. If one side is browning faster than the other I will need to open the dome to rotate my pizza or bread 180Β°. That's why I used the parchment paper, so I can pinch the paper between my fingers and rotate it quickly and easily.

I pre-heat my heat deflator, grates, pizza stone and the ceramic shell for a minimum of 1 hour.

I always delay the fermentation of my pizza dough overnight in my fridge. That dough needs 2 hours to final proof on the kitchen counter to return to close to room temperature. My system is to start the fire in the BGE 1 hour after taking the dough out of the fridge. While the BGE is preheating I do my prep work and stretch/final shape my dough.
            Last edited by Breadhead; July 3, 2016, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I think you are going to have a great party! πŸ‘

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here