Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza Stone Turned Black.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza Stone Turned Black.

Hello y'all, While I was conducting my vortex pizza oven experiment, the top of my ceramic pizza stone turned black. I wasn't cooking on it, just doing a dry run. Top temperature I hit was 700 degrees F. Could this have been stuff oozing out of the stone? Smoke from the grill? Is it ok to use it? I have cooked with the stone before, and never had it turn black like that.

I don't know what caused it, my pizza stone has been black for years. I use it all the time.

Comment

Mine is black from oil penetration. I'm guessing you cracked the oil and it turned black.

Comment

I'm going to go ahead and use it then.

Comment

Sounds seasoned!

Comment

Originally posted by jgjeske1 View Post
            I'm going to go ahead and use it then.
            After a 700° burn... Anything that was on there has been pasteurized, cooked off.😆 Don't worry about it.

Comment

I feel like pizza may be happening for dinner tomorrow!! 😎

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Use parchment paper under your pizza crust. It's easier to transfer from your pizza peel onto the stone and easier to remove from the stone too. Plus it puts something between the black stuff.

Oh my that's bad. Throw it away maybe.

Comment

Mine has been black forever.

Comment

I think parchment paper will just burn up at 700. I use non-stick aluminum foil.

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Parchment paper will burn at 550° but only the corners that you left to long. The PP that is directly under your pizza will not burn at 800°.

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I trim the parchment close around the edge of the pizza before placing on the stone.

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    RonB ... You are a quick learner grasshopper.👍

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here