Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8 and 1/2 minutes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 and 1/2 minutes.

I fired up the Weber today to make pizza. The stone went in the oven @ 550F for about 1.5 hours and it topped out at about 530F, ( the baking steel was also in the over and reached 550 in about 1 hr). The stone went in the Weber, then I dressed the pizza allowing time for the temp in the Weber to rise a bit. I cracked the top enough to get the pizza in, and it took about 8.5 min for the bottom to brown. Since the stone was hotter than the grill, I figured I'd have to pull it before the top was right so I turned the oven to broil so it would heat up. The pizza finished under the broiler.
    I had planned to use bread flour to get a crisper crust, but I grabbed the ap and didn't notice until I put it away. The crust turned out well, but not as crisp as I had wanted. It still tasted good. Click image for larger version

Name:	A07Y3495.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	161161
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A07Y3501.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	161162
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A07Y3498.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	161163

Love me some pepperoni lovers.

Comment

Dang tight! Gonna have to try that sometime. So you said you had a steel in the oven too. Did you use it, or just roll with the stone?

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        The steel stays in the oven all the time. I just commented that it got up to temp quicker.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Oops - Almost forgot - I didn't use the steel in the Weber. I'm concerned about how the finish would react to the high temp of the charcoal so close to it.

With a thick(er) crust pizza such as this, and with the temps you described, a simple brush of the crust with butter or oil will help a great deal. We do this technique at work quite a bit, in these situations. The bottom of your crust looked OK, so just an edge treatment will suffice. Overall, however, nice cook!

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmm. Good idea on butter. I'm going to try that. Do you have a go to recipe for crispy thin crust pizza?

I've tried a few, but not in love yet.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanx Strat50 - I will keep that in mind.

• Strat50
        Strat50 commented
        Editing a comment
        It's not so much the crust recipe as it is using slack dough and rolling thin.

That looks awesome!

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanx Huskee. I'm thinking Mexican Pizza might be good:
        Salsa instead of pizza sauce - have to drain most of the liquid or cook it down.
        A blend of Mex cheeses.
        Chorizo.

Good looking pizza. I cheat and go to Papa Murphy's and cook it in my pellet grill.

Comment

Looks amazing. Did you put anything on the stone to prevent sticking? Corn meal or something? Or was it hot enough that nothing else was necessary?

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing on the stone, but I did put parchment under the dough so it would slide off the peel easier. If you use parchment in a higher temp oven, you need to trim it close to the dough so it doesn't burn.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here