Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boom. Boom. Voila! Is Dough Ball Salvageable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boom. Boom. Voila! Is Dough Ball Salvageable?

I’m trying to make Vito Iacopelli’s single pizza crust (https://youtu.be/Tz4JLRQ2EPE) recipe, and things have spun out of control. When I started spreading out the dough ball it was obvious that it wasn’t sturdy enough to retain a pizza shape when moved. All I could think of was to add a little flour and let it sit for awhile, but after an hour nothing had changed. I’ve now gathered it up into a ball. Should I put it on the fridge, try again in awhile, or toss it?

This is my first attempt at making a crust, so it’s not like I was expecting it to go smoothly….

What do you mean by not sturdy enough? Did it stretch too easily, or did it try to spring back to the original shape? Or was it something else?

Put it in the fridge until we get it figured out...

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      It stretched too easily and was sticking to the counter.

Still question... you arent trying to just work with the poolish (the 100ml of water, honey and 100g of flour) are you?

did the dough ball look smooth and tight like it does around the 9 minute mark? Did you dump it out into flour like he does?

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I made the poolish last night and added the second round of ingredients tonight. I thought my dough ball looked pretty good except for being a little flatter than Vito’s, and yes, I dumped it onto a pile of flour. I did only let it rest for an hour at the point (9:47) he says 1-2 hours.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      An hour rest should be fine. It might be that you didnt build enough tension in the dough (where he forms it into a ball). For the counter sticking... he's still got noticeable flour on the marble counter and marble is easier on that. I'd consider reforming it into a ball, make sure it's tight, then let it rest again.

Vito made a wet, sticky dough. Then he used a lot of flour to keep it from sticking. It sounds to me like you didn't use enough flour at baking time.

Comment

In addition to what rickgregory asked: What kind of flour did you use? Vito is using a 00 pizza flour, which is about 14% protein . A flour with lower protein is going to require a bit less water and be more delicate to work with.

Did you knead the dough after adding the additional flour and water to the poolish? How? How long? Did you let the dough rest before shaping the ball?

How did you do the final proof? At room temp? how long and what temp is your kitchen? In the fridge? How long and what temp is your fridge? Did the dough feel light and airy when you took it out, or dense and glumpy? Could be a fermentation issue (over/under prooved).

Comment

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, KA 00 pizza dough. All steps were followed as he instructed, although he didn’t say how long he kneads the dough. I probably kneaded mine for a minute or two? I’m working in an air-conditioned, 74° kitchen, although yesterday was a very hot and humid day. Thanks.

One comment on the sticking when shaping and transferring to peel. Vito historically uses only semolina flour at the point when he turns out the dough ball. I noticed on this one he said a mixture of flour and semolina (though no ratio). Semolina is ground more like tiny ball bearings rather than the powdery texture of the 00. It's far better, in my experience, than corn meal...............it's softer so that it integrates with the dough ball producing a better mouth feel.

Comment

I wish I'd come far enough on the pizza journey to be able to answer. I am following this though.

Comment

I did not look at the video used, if I understand your problem, I would say you did not build gluten structure. You can make all the balls you want, if you don’t have gluten structure, you won’t have a good crust. I personally would have put it in a pan with some olive oil and made. Focaccia or flat bread pizza this time.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree with the olive oil brushed in the bottom of the pan.
            I use this method for my oven baked Za with great results.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here