Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Appetizer or side suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appetizer or side suggestions

My daughter has requested lasagna for her birthday dinner tomorrow. I would like to do an appetizer or side that has as least SOMETHING to do with the grill. Anyone have any suggestions?

Not sure about a protein ... but what about some grilled veggies?

Comment

Grill the Lasagna! wrap your pan completely in foil and gill it, the cheese should be nice and smokey. Huskee and fzxdoc have done them.

Comment

Grilled Cauliflower, pineapple......dutch oven cobbler

Comment

+1 on the cobbler!

Comment

I do stuffed and prosciutto wrapped dates.

I strip the vein/membrane and seeds out of a jalapeño pepper and give it a fine dice. I thin mix it into a block of room temp cream cheese; mix well and until the cream cheese is really smooth.

Split the dried dates lengthwise, toss the pit, and use a teaspoon to fill the dates with the cream cheese mixture.

Wrap the date halves in a bit of prosciutto, secure with water soaked toothpicks, and grill indirect for a few minutes, then finish direct until the prosciutto is crisped to your liking.

These take very little time and are always a hit at parties. I have been known to hit the cream cheese jalapeño mixture with a bit of the rub-de-jour to tie things together the I'm serving them with BBQ.

You can also leave out the jalapeño if you desire and the kids are young and not used to spice.

Comment

How about grilled pizza to go with the lasagna? Divide the dough into small portions and let everyone dress their own pie.

Comment

Some grilled eggplant might go nicely. Some grilled dessert might finish it beautifully. But seconding the recommendation to do the lasagna on the grill.

Comment

Mini Meatballs! Make the meatballs from ground beef, maybe an inch in diameter, and add whatever seasonings you'd like. Then roll them around on a hot grill to give them some color. Take an aluminum pan and put down a layer of mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce. Throw the meatballs in, add some more cheese and sauce and cook it on the grill for maybe 30 minutes at 350 or so. The end result is perfect little Italian meatballs covered with pizza sauce and gooey mozzarella.

It might sound like a lot of work but it's really nothing.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I like them all!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here