Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easter Ham glaze ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easter Ham glaze ideas?

I am double smoking a SRF whole ham and looking for some ideas for a good finishing glaze or sauce? Any good ideas out there?
    Attached Files

Huskee's original shawsh -- https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...riginal-shawsh If you haven't made this for general use as a sauce, you owe it to yourself to make it. Shawsh has a mildly sweet, citrusy kick. I still can't pronounce the name but I really like this sauce.

Templeton-Raspberry sauce
    1/3 c Templeton Rye whiskey (or other whiskey to suit your taste)
    1/3 c seedless raspberry jam
    1/3 c ketchup (I used Heinz)
    2-3 Tbl honey or to taste
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp chipotle sauce (optional)
    1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Working away from any flame, pour the Templeton Rye into a small saute pan. Make sure you have a tight fitting lid close to hand. Heat the pan over medium-low heat until the whiskey just comes to a simmer.

Slowly tip the pan AWAY from you until the stove burner ignites the alcohol vapor. Set the pan down away from the hot burner and wait until the alcohol flames off. If the flames get out of hand, put the lid on the pan to extinguish the fire.

Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the jam is dissolved and the sauce is about the consistency of ketchup. Divide the sauce into two portions -- use about 1/3 of the sauce while grilling and serve the rest at the table.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on the raspberry-chipotle sauce. Mine is basically the same but without the whiskey. That might actually make it a lot better !!!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      First time I've seen someone use Templeton's recipe. I love their 6yr and their cask finished ryes. I bet it would be wonderful in this.

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not a connoisseur of whiskey, but I like Templeton, both to drink and sometimes to cook with. I make a honey mustard that tastes better if made with another whiskey, however, so Templeton doesn't work for everything.

The glaze on the free site is incredible. That’s what I’m using. Made some yesterday.

Comment

Mustard always goes well with ham but so does something sweet. Combine the ingredients below over medium heat in a sauce pan. Glaze the ham before, baste during and final glaze after the cook during the cool down period.
      • 1/2 cup water
      • 1/2 stick unsalted butter
      • 1 cup dark brown sugar
      • 1/2 cup honey
      • 4 tablespoons Dijon or Coleman's mustard
      • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
      • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
      • 4 cloves garlic minced

Comment

Chris Lily’s Spicy apricot glaze. I believe it is on the free side of the site.

Comment

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...or-a-ham-glaze

I've got the ingredients for this. It sounds delicious. I had to order the Pineapple Preserves since they weren't available locally. Credit to @DJ DeSpain .
          Last edited by Skip; April 12, 2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

We are partial to Coca Cola glaze. Basically Coca Cola, brown sugar, pepper and some mustard.

Comment

for a city ham (what you have) I like the spiced apricot glaze on the free site. I trade out habanero powder for the cayenne though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here