Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Secret Supposedly Original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wing Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Secret Supposedly Original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wing Sauce

Ok, swore I would never share my "secret" buffalo wing sauce recipe, but here goes.

I found this recipe on Usenet in 1994, and printed it off, and its been in a 3 ring binder of recipes ever since. For those of you who don't know what Usenet is.... it was the web before there was a web or a web browser. Anyway, that recipe purported to be the original one from the Anchor bar in Buffalo. I cannot say whether it is or not, but I've been whipping this up on the stove (or grill) for 25 years, and friends and family say its the best. I don't normally look at the recipe after making it that many years, but did to share with my friends here on Amazing Ribs. Here goes!

For a dozen full wings (I usually double or triple this recipe):

- 6 Tbsp Frank's Redhot Sauce
    - 1/2 stick margarine (or salted butter - the recipe says margarine only though, as it mixes better)
    - 1 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
    - 1 to 2 tsp Tabasco sauce (I usually use 1 to reduce heat)
    - 1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
    - 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    - 1/4 tsp red pepper (I use crushed red pepper - ground makes it overly hot)
    - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    - 1/4 tsp celery seed
    - 1/8 tsp garlic salt

Heat the sauce just until the butter or margarine melts. Butter tends to separate more than margins, but you can wisk it up some if that happens.

When grilling, I brush about half the sauce on the wings towards the end of cooking, and reserve half for the table. If frying, I toss the wings in the sauce after the fryer.

Thanks fer sharin, Amigo!

I'll haveta look around, see if any local stores carry this "margarine" stuff that ya spoke of...

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I just use butter these days, as we tend to buy that. I just have to whisk it some in order to "emulsify" the sauce. Otherwise it does tend to separate after sitting there for a bit.

These days I just make this on the corner of the grill in a small sauce pan while direct grilling the wings (on grill grates).

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      ... must be some kinda new-fangled condiment or something ... 🤨 ...

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you have to special order it from Amazon.

Thanks for sharing ! we are going to try this .

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I've had plenty of wings from the Anchor Bar back in my college days. I'm definitely going to give this recipe a try. They also just opened an Anchor Bar Restaurant here in Frederick, MD recently.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, you will have to make this sauce up and let us know what you think, as you are likely going to be the closest thing to an expert around here!

For many years I deep fried my wings, but for the past year or two I've taken to grilling them at 350, as it is a lot easier to grill and have 10 pounds of wings ready at one time on the grill, than it is with the deep fryer!

Thanx for sharing. This gets added to the, (very long), list of recipes to try...

Comment

That seems about right. Growing up in the Buffalo area I visited the Anchor Bar many a time. Their wings we great back in the day but their wings have gone down hill over the past 10 years. Now the Anchor Bar is just a big tourist trap in my opinion. There are at least 20 other places in Buffalo I'd rather get wings at than at the Anchor Bar.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably has a lot to do with passing of ownership, as well as of the generation that opened the bar and invented the wings. Sadly most places go downhill when the original owner moves or passes on.

• JGrana
          JGrana commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed! Duffs for example. I moved to Rochester NY, an hour to the east. Great wings here as well - if anyone is ever in Rochester, seek out the Distillery - lots of beers on tap and great Buffalo style wings!

I’ve been to Anchor Bar, but don’t like buffalo sauce (in general). I just had their wings with bbq sauce. Thanks for sharing though!

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          This is so wrong on so many levels.... Some people just can't take heat though, so I understand. My daughters used to be the same way, but do like this recipe. I dial back the cayenne and tabasco for them though.

I have no idea how authentic this sauce is, but it sounds absolutely delicious. I’ll definitely be trying this on my next batch of wings! Thanks for sharing :-)

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          It's certainly not a thick sauce like BBQ sauce, but delicious to either toss the wings on, or just brush it on during the last few minutes of cooking. I toss if frying, and brush on if grilling. With Grillgrates on the grill, it sizzles and vaporizes on the grate and if nothing else, gives off a nice flavorful aroma! I like to think it adds to the wing flavor too though!

• Santamarina
          Santamarina commented
          Editing a comment
          I always toss my sauce - whether frying, baking, or grilling. They come off the cooker and get tossed in the sauce of the day!

Just made my mouth water thinking about it.

Comment

It’s has wings. How bad can it be?😃

Comment

• Santamarina
            Santamarina commented
            Editing a comment
            We’ve been doing wings in the Big Boss air fryer lately. They come out nice an crispy - like frying - but without all the oil. Definitely better for the heart!

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris Spinaker Santamarina I’m doing wings this weekend (Monday or tuesday) and they are hot, red and some sweet. Making them for my Korean neighbor, does that count? I owe her and her moms kim chi is bomb!! Wings on my mind now!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Post the recipe, if you would. It would be great to see that! HouseHomey

Thank you, sir. Needed a good sauce.

Comment

jfmorris Thanks for sharing your secret!

Comment

Thanks a lot for sharing this! I think we can all benefit from a good Wing sauce.

I think I am going to add ghee instead of margarine. That should add some richness to it to the sauce too.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL HouseHomey

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't go out of my way to use margarine. The original recipe said it was important, but I find using butter is fine as long as I don't let it get to a boil, and also whisk it or blend it well. A blender would probably emulsify it properly, and I've done that on occasion when making a really large batch, but tend to want to not have to wash the blender...

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I hear ya. I am gonna give this a run today, with some wings in the deep fryer! jfmorris thanks again for posting this recipe!

Thank you -- been looking to find a good wing sauce with some depth. Looking forward to trying it. Have you ever substituted out the Worchestershire sauce before?

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                No. To be honest., by volume, there is very little Worchestershire sauce in there. You could probably skip it. Or be adventurous and sub.... fish sauce?

As I recall the story, originally told to me by a chef who trained at the CIA in NY, Buffalo wings started at the Anchor Bar as an improvisation when the owners' son and some friends staggered in just before closing looking for something to eat. All that was left in the kitchen was leftover wings from making fried chicken. So, the mother fried them up and tossed them in Frank's Hot Sauce (perhaps for punitive reasons) and served them to da boys.

The other sauce ingredients may have been added later as an embellishment. That said, your recipe looks great. I'll have to try it.

Addendum:

I should have done a web search before posting my rely to the original post..

https://parade.com/26655/anchorbarbu...t-wing-recipe/
              Last edited by gcdmd; April 28, 2019, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here