Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Secret Supposedly Original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wing Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surfdog
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, it’s probably not all that common...especially to home cooks, which is a shame because it’s really quite versatile.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, if the sauce ever reaches a boil, separation becomes more of an issue. I usually just mix until the butter is fully melted, then turn off the burner and cover the sauce pan until I am done making wings. I've not heard of this butter/water technique, but will go read up on it.

• surfdog
    replied
    Looks good...
    I wonder if a beurre monté would help hold it together longer?
    For those unsure, a beurre monté is a butter emulsion...basically melting the butter into a little water. It keeps it from separating. Don’t boil it though or it will break.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    I hear ya. I am gonna give this a run today, with some wings in the deep fryer! jfmorris thanks again for posting this recipe!

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    This is so wrong on so many levels.... Some people just can't take heat though, so I understand. My daughters used to be the same way, but do like this recipe. I dial back the cayenne and tabasco for them though.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    No. To be honest., by volume, there is very little Worchestershire sauce in there. You could probably skip it. Or be adventurous and sub.... fish sauce?

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I don't go out of my way to use margarine. The original recipe said it was important, but I find using butter is fine as long as I don't let it get to a boil, and also whisk it or blend it well. A blender would probably emulsify it properly, and I've done that on occasion when making a really large batch, but tend to want to not have to wash the blender...

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    LOL HouseHomey

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah me too. 😃

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    I'm out on margarine. Just like Miracle Whip. HouseHomey

• smokin fool
    replied
    Yup, yours is pretty close to the recipe I've seen before.
    I really cut down on the butter or margarine though before I completely blocked my arteries.
    Spent many a Saturday afternoon down at the Anchor back in the 80's.
    Even with the exchange rate it was still a deal, at one point took money at par.
    Agree with above comments, not the place or the quality it used to be.

Leave a comment:

• gcdmd
    replied
    As I recall the story, originally told to me by a chef who trained at the CIA in NY, Buffalo wings started at the Anchor Bar as an improvisation when the owners' son and some friends staggered in just before closing looking for something to eat. All that was left in the kitchen was leftover wings from making fried chicken. So, the mother fried them up and tossed them in Frank's Hot Sauce (perhaps for punitive reasons) and served them to da boys.

The other sauce ingredients may have been added later as an embellishment. That said, your recipe looks great. I'll have to try it.

Addendum:

I should have done a web search before posting my rely to the original post..

https://parade.com/26655/anchorbarbu...t-wing-recipe/
    Last edited by gcdmd; April 28, 2019, 10:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    I would go with the margarine. Add a Ghee back should you need it.

Margarine is a stable emulsified product and would likely eat, hold and plate better than butter.

Doc says I’m not getting enough trans fat in my diet lately.

• gcdmd
    commented on 's reply
    I think you have to special order it from Amazon.

• Bumby
    replied
    Thank you -- been looking to find a good wing sauce with some depth. Looking forward to trying it. Have you ever substituted out the Worchestershire sauce before?

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here