Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banh Mi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banh Mi?

Anyone have a killer Banh Mi grilled pork\chicken sandwich recipe? I winged it watching several videos. It turned out good, but needs tweaking.

This one from Meathead looks interesting:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...t-ends-banh-mi

Comment

Nice! Thank you. If I don’t do pork belly do you suggest tenderloin?

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you’d want a fattier cut than tenderloin ... like maybe pork loin.

I second the recipe above. I’ve made this a few times, and been told it was THE BEST Bahn Mi, coming from a friend who usually searches out these types of shops.

I would give it a try!

Comment

I make banh mi.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181023_192152.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	815780

I even make deconstructed banh mi.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160503_185049-1024x576.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	815781

I can weigh in tomorrow on my strategies.

Comment

• Mark-B
        Mark-B commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks good! Curious what cut of pork you're using. BTW, diakon is almost impossible to find, so I sub'd regular red radish. After my first attempt I did finally go to Whole Foods and they carry it. I think the only store in my town that does.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        For the above sandwich, I toasted baguettes and slathered the bottom with goose liver pâté and laid the smoked pork on top of that. I folded cucumber shavings on the meat and topped them with pickled daikon and carrots. Then I placed sliced jalapeños and cilantro on top and finished the top layer of bread with kimchi mayonnaise. Finally, a touch of hoisin sauce was drizzled over the whole thing.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        You can use leaner cuts or even tofu. But I like smoking a pork belly then slicing it and crisping in a pan.

In years past I've planted banh mi gardens. Regular radish is a great substitute but consider growing some daikon. Either way, be sure to pickle the radish and carrots. A couple of hours in the fridge or overnight is sufficient.

I'm curious to know if it's pork belly. Hubby won't eat it because it's too fatty. Sliced bacon, well cooked, is his limit. So I don't make pork belly, even though I love it. What a good wife I am. Sometimes.

Kathryn

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Fry that pork belly after you smoke it. That will render out a lot of the excess fat not unlike bacon.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo
    Meat-Up in Memphis