Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subway is such a guilty pleasure for me.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subway is such a guilty pleasure for me.....

So I had to work late (yes, on a Sunday).....and was too tired to fire up the grill/smoker/pellet-thingy.....

So I engaged in one of my guilty pleasures, a specific and very particular Subway sandwich. Now, Subway in the past year has gone a bit upscale, which is good. They've also simplified their menu. Thankfully, my guilty pleasure has survived.

And it is sooooo good.

It is:
    • Foot long
    • Wheat bread (they call this something different now, because reasons?)
    • "Steak and Cheese" (again, they call this something different now, but like the wheat, they know what you want)
    • Steak....which is perhaps a little iffy....basically shaved beef. It doesn't suck like many think it does.
    • Pepper Jack cheese
    • Toasted, yes please.
    • Spinach
    • Green Peppers
    • Red Onions
    • Pepperoncinis
    • Jalapeños
    • Chipotle Southwest (now called Baja Southwest) dressing
    It is soooo good. Yes, it is Subway, but I could do far worse.

I love Subway, my whole family does. My BIL who I am close to and who shares many of my beer & bourbon affinities detests Subway, but he can't say specifically why. Weirdo.

I really like their new whatever it's called with fresh mozzarella and ham, yum yum, no vinaigrette though. One of my secrets that I think boosts any of their sandwiches is the addition of salt & pepper (often overlooked in sandwich building, sadly) and parmesan cheese. The umami it adds, even to a sandwich you don't think needs it, is killer to my mouth.

Yours sounds good too!

Comment

I tried the Monster Meat, or something like that, last week. Basically an Italian sub. I've loved Subway for years. Had various favorites for years. For quite a while I had the Steak and Cheese Wrap, but lately I've been going back to sandwiches. Having them add the Oregano mix makes a big difference. With Oil & Vinegar, although last week I had the vinaigrette, which I thought was good.

Many years ago traveling between South Dakota to California with 3 kids who probably ranged in age from 10 to 2, we problems finding places everyone liked. Our oldest daughter was adamant that she did not want to go to Subway (our pickiest eater, then and now). Until we explained to her that you didn't have to have all the stuff on the sandwiches that mom and dad did. You could tell them EXACTLY what you wanted on your sandwich. It became her new favorite place to eat.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a couple of picky daughters like that too - back when they were young last least! Give them bread, meat and cheese. No condiments - those are SPICY - no veggies - those are GROSS. My son always wanted it the way I had it - spicy, with everything on it...

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris we thought our oldest daughter didn't like tuna. Then on a trip my wife and I were eating tuna from the can, and she was gobbling it up. She loved tuna, didn't like the mayonnaise in tuna salad. Still doesn't. But she does put red pepper flakes on everything. Our son would eat anything his sisters wouldn't, there might be one or two things he won't eat, but we haven't found them yet.

Hard pass on anything Subway. Give me Jersey Mike's any day of the week if I'm buying a sandwich.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Murdy you want to treat yourself, heat your oven to 425°, take that sandwich and wrap it in foil, and bake it for about half an hour.

At that point, when I take it out I put potato chips on it. But that’s just me.

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Jersey Mike's Phili Cheese steak sammy is very good. Wife, who use to live in Phily, loves them......just no green pepper.

• Clark
        Clark commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with Bkhuna re the bread. It always had a 'chemical' taste to it, which ruined any sandwich. Therefore, I haven't been in a Subway for 10+ years.

Italian bread and drop the spinach and you have my usual. Though I don’t think I’ve had Subway in a couple years, not sure why.

Comment

Subway has always been a go to when touring on our motorcycle in the US and Canada. It's consistent and you know what you will get...Quick and easy when your laying down miles.

Comment

Around here there are so many local Italian family owned Sub Shops, going to Subway (or any chain) is inconceivable. We tried it years ago like 20 years ago. The meat was pre-cut and portioned, not sliced fresh. It was a measly little sandwich with domestic cold cuts, not real Italian salami, mortadella, etc. Everyone has their favorite. Mine was Santoro's Sub Villa in Saugus. Unfortunately these places are closing as the older generation retires and the kids want nothing to do with the family business.

Only chain that was acceptable was D'Angelos. They had awesome steak and cheese (which blows away Philly Cheese steaks). The Number 9 was the best!
          Last edited by Old Glory; November 14, 2022, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            bardsleyque I meant Philly lol.

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            bardsleyque when BF goes to Portillo’s and adds mozzarella to his big beef, dipped, hot. 🤣🤣

• bardsleyque
            bardsleyque commented
            Editing a comment
            when I'm in Chicago I'll do that too!

Subway is pretty good, I actually like the veggie sub as well. But right now my favorite is Firehouse Subs. All of their sandwiches are good imo

Comment

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            I love Firehouse. All their subs are good, but I've been on a NY Steamer kick as of late. I always go back to the Hook n' Ladder eventually.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            hoovarmin I had a hook n ladder a couple days ago

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            Firehouse NY Steamer, fully involved, totally awesome!

You guys are going to laugh at me but since changing my diet and trying to lose weight over the past almost 2 years now i have been eating a lot of the "Veggie Delight" Subway sandwiches for my lunch through the week.

Comment

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm definitely going to laugh at you 😂

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            I really like the veggie sub so I'm not laughing at you I am laughing with you.

Subway is good. I was drawn to the tuna back in ‘14 after my spine surgery due to the low salt content. But, alas (yes alas in a Pit post) I regret no big honkin sandwich’s fer me, with the non-bread diet I’ve been on.

Comment

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            If you're near a Jimmy John's, they will do any of their subs on a lettuce wrap, and they are actually pretty good. We were happy to discover them when we were doing a low-carb diet.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I will second the Jimmy John's lettuce wraps as well. Unfortunately, the one 1/4 mile from the house closed up, and I don't get past a Jimmy John's often anymore.

• Timbo54
            Timbo54 commented
            Editing a comment
            I liked the tuna until someone filed a lawsuit claiming that there was no actual tuna DNA in their tuna. I think the lawsuit is still ongoing.

Not a fan of any chain subs. We just returned from our CA, AZ camping trip and a Subway was convenient at a Loves fuel up. It is what it is, just ok. We did a 14 hour straight through drive so anything for food would of sufficed.

Comment

This is almost ingredient-by ingredient my Subway order as well. Nice.

Comment

When I was working at the office, I would go to Subway just about everyday. They new what I would want. Which was a Tuna wrap with lettuce tomato and onion. I figured I was saving calories by going tuna with a wrap. Little did I know.....

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, a lot of people don't realize those 'wraps' sometimes have just as many carbs as regular bread.

• Bogy
                Bogy commented
                Editing a comment
                Partly why I've gone back to bread lately.

For some reason, the steak tastes awful to me, but my sandwich is pretty much identical with chicken.

I second the addition of salt and pepper plus whatever “spices” they have in that little jar at the end. It sort of looks like pepper flakes.

Comment

We typically go to Jersey Mikes or Firehouse, but if I'm in a rush I'll do Subway. I won't get anything but cold cuts at subway though, I'm not a fan of their "chunk" meat options or meatballs at all.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here