Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ok to cut a 7lb Turkey breast in half and freeze half cook half?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it ok to cut a 7lb Turkey breast in half and freeze half cook half?

2 of us and 7lb of Turkey so I'm thinking cut it right down the breast plate and vac. seal the other half. Good idea or bad? Thanks!

Sure, why not? It should be okay. I’ve had turkeys frozen over a year that were fine.

Comment

Agreed. No issues with that approach. Smoke on!

Comment

Pretty good idea. I just took one out of the freezer to cook this weekend. Ours don't usually last very long though - turkey salad, turkey soup, turkey tacos - you name it, we put turkey in it.

Comment

Or cook the whole breast and have you some nice turkey sammies. That's what I do.

Comment

You could also cook the whole thing and then freeze half of it for later. I just had some brisket yesterday that I had frozen several months ago, and it was about as good as the day I cooked it.

Comment

• Smoking77
              Smoking77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow. Great to hear! I'll do that next time.

• Stuey1515
              Stuey1515 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm going to try this now our kids have all gone. What's the best way to reheat the brisket please?

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              I vacuum seal, then freeze. So when it's time to reheat, I just take the bag and submerge in hot tap water in the sink until good and thawed. Then remove from the bag and reheat the rest of the way in the microwave. Is this the best way? Sous vide might be marginally better, but it works for me.

I half all the time. I get sick of leftover turkey, so one half suits my wife and I fine.

Comment

But that leaves the question of which half you cook first - left or right?

Speaking of that, who was it that only cooked briskets from left-footed steers? I don't know why that's partially in my head. seems like something I shoulda remembered all of.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s cuz when they got up from layin down they got up on there right foot which makes it stronger & tougher chewin, yessir.

See, an here I wuz thinkin about cuttin it in half, front to back just fer discussions sake.

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                When in doubt, just grind it all up and be done with it.

Of course, it is okay. Or cut into cubes and make turkey pot pies.
              Or grill both halves and freeze the one half.
              happy grilling on you, PBR too.

Comment

Your thought would work just fine, but why cook ( smoke ) twice. Smoke the whole thing then vac pack and freeze what you want to. I have brisket - pulled pork - turkey - pork loin - grilled chicken breast and other casserole cooks vac packed and frozen in portions for two. Works great for us. The vac pack extends the freezer life of cooked food greatly.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here