Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Requesting your GREATEST chile verde recipe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I've got it all assembled and it's cooking down.

I used about 6 or 7 lbs of pork butt, smoked for about 3h at 150ºF. About ~4 lbs of tomatillos, 6 jalapenos and 6 or so poblanos (roasted), roasted onion and garlic, some cumin, salt, Mexican oregano... one big bunch of cilantro.

I cut the pork butt into chunks and got a really nice hard sear on all of it (that takes a while), threw it in a big stock pot, deglazed my cast iron with roasted chopped onion, roasted garlic and chicken stock, poured this over the meat, then added in the puree and it's all simmering away now. Added about a teaspoon of cayenne, as I'd pretty well removed most of the seeds and ribs from the peppers.

It's fairly tart at the moment - I think I probably used too many tomatillos and not enough poblanos. I'm hoping the tartness will cook out of it just a little. Otherwise I think the flavor is good. I could add in more cilantro or onion, but I don't have any more peppers to roast and puree. I hope it turns out ok.

Thanks for all the advice fellas.

<edit> I do have a jar of hatch green chiles I could throw in... I think it's this one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	de3d4bd6-8a79-46d3-b576-ac37fd1efb32.82431b03060a13ced85bfa2673ad808b.png?odnWidth=undefined&amp;odnHeight=undefined&amp;odnBg=ffffff.png
Views:	138
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	993452

What do you think, is this worth throwing in if it's still too tart in an hour or so?
    Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; February 21, 2021, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds like you did a great job!. Of course I enjoy the tart.

Is this the best? I'm not sure about that but it's good and very easy.

Comment

Add a bit of honey or sugar to balance out the tartness of the tomatillos. Take a small cup of the chile and add to that to see how it is and try to get a measure of how much.

And save that green chile for something else I don’t think it will change the profile much because of the tomatillos. A couple of those 505 Green Chile jars and you could make New Mexico green chile.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here